What did you do in the garden today?

I trenched in asparagus and made a raised bed for new strawberries. I finally put Dahlia bulbs in the ground from winter-over.
Potted some mesclun, started some peppers, herbs and perennial flowers in the greenhouse.
Still need to plant spring garlic but it’s been so rainy, so I may pot them in a tub.

Rain has been in our forecast but it rained 5 miles south & 5 miles north, missed us. Wow the pollen is heavy, too! My white truck looks yellow with a fuzzy yellow windshield. I had to do the sinus wash with that yucky 🤮 Flonase this morning, tastes nasty but it works. If ya can get past the 30 minutes of hacking & spitting that stuff as it post nasal drips & you taste it (not a good taste) Then at least you can breathe all day.

We were swamped with rain & flooding last month, then frost warnings, now it's gonna hit the 80s & we gotta water everything. Mother Nature is having a good laugh at the silly humans.
Oh yeah, I can relate. My grey pickup is more yellow than grey and the windshield looks foggy because of the pollen film on it. 😂

Today, in my water gardens...

I have two small (100g) preform ponds. For one I made a filter from a 5g bucket filled with scrubber pads, but after 6 years exposed to the weather it started to break apart.

From 2018:
IMG_20180331_160456203.jpg

IMG_20180331_113919847.jpg

IMG_20220610_114340262_HDR.jpg

The water is pumped up into the top of the bucket and filters down through the scrubber pads, out through the spout and back into the pond.

Today when I tried to remove the pads to rinse them the bucket edges and the handle broke off. Ouch. I didn't want to spend money on a new bucket and lid.

My solution, what I had on hand:
IMG_20240428_144113445~2.jpg

IMG_20240428_145523238.jpg

I had to trim the edges of the grid/screen as it was too wide for the smaller, square bucket.
IMG_20240428_144449680.jpg

That's a brick in the bottom, for stability.

Then I added the rinsed scrubber pads, some filter material, and a mesh bag of rocks that keeps the pads in place.
IMG_20240428_145856757.jpg

I fed the tubing through the hole in the bucket lid, put the T-splitter in the end, laid it on top of the filtering materials, and closed the lid.

Ta-da!
IMG_20240428_150331225~2.jpg

I added a flat stone and a pelican on top as weight and discouragement...if animals jump on top of the filter it can be knocked over. It has happened in the past, and it drained more than half of the water out of the pond!

I've had a lot of string algae so far this year, cleaning the filter should help it reduce the nitrates in the water.
IMG_20240428_163828012_HDR~2.jpg

I hope you enjoyed reading about my afternoon project.

I have two small (100g) preform ponds. For one I made a filter from a 5g bucket filled with scrubber pads, but after 6 years exposed to the weather it started to break apart.

From 2018:
View attachment 3815135
View attachment 3815136
View attachment 3815138
The water is pumped up into the top of the bucket and filters down through the scrubber pads, out through the spout and back into the pond.

Today when I tried to remove the pads to rinse them the bucket edges and the handle broke off. Ouch. I didn't want to spend money on a new bucket and lid.

View attachment 3815144
View attachment 3815145
I had to trim the edges of the grid/screen as it was too wide for the smaller, square bucket.
View attachment 3815146

Then I added the rinsed scrubber pads, some filter material, and a mesh bag of rocks that keeps the pads in place.
View attachment 3815149
I fed the tubing through the hole in the bucket lid, put the T-splitter in the end, laid it on top of the filtering materials, and closed the lid.

Ta-da!
View attachment 3815157
I added a flat stone and a pelican on top as weight and discouragement...if animals jump on top of the filter it can be knocked over. It has happened in the past, and it drained more than half of the water out of the pond!

I've had a lot of string algae so far this year, cleaning the filter should help it reduce the nitrates in the water.
View attachment 3815169

How does it remove the nitrates? Does the filter system become biologically active, "eating" the nitrates as water passes through?

Today, I decided to take down my generic Tycoon tomatoes in my DYI earth box. The generic seeds I got from amazon doesn't have the TYLCV virus resistance that I need to grow tomatoes in my yard. I can tell because the Tycoon seeds, I got from Reimer seeds had a green coating and they are not stunted like the generic uncoated seeds.

I ended up salt brining the green tomatoes that were on the vine. I am debating whether or not to add vinegar. I used 2 tsp of salt to 1 cup of water and each quart took about 5 cups of boiling salt water, so it kind of blanched everything in the Mason jar.
View attachment 3811708
I decided to put in 2 tbs of sugar and I let it sit another day before tasting it and it tasted better than the other jar without sugar, so I put sugar in all the jars. In addition, I put 4 tbs of 5% cider vinegar in each jar and made a jar with cucumbers and ripe tomatoes.

I just ordered these glass fermenting covers from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Cedilis-Fermentation-Fermenting-Sauerkraut-Dishwasher/dp/B0BLZ1Y7X9/ref=sr_1_34?crid=2V2HBCFA770L&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.tZ28pu_peMHCPC1lNtlCo_xlSx_HulbdPJOe8VssAbbLUfUO9AjbJJrj2nW9KqijSdIOSAsTKlEc4AwTxMt--XMmVctK90spI1quEXy_RTAViDIKHQseKV4U05ZhH8h7_ujBNlrC0Q36UVQ-f2-xAeeYI-KPvuLmwyK0nQ4n7RrNx0qs1fGCxkSnICJ3OTJ902-ABXCOTDigK_XbbO7bd30XTi9vyK9674mfLlnHla6-7Os_bevw3uqHg7darcOXVsZElpoAFk2IDt3p-M7dJVb2lrW-gyuLrYL0KHA7EJs.Q20RFsqVdSqFelxUnHysWrYjTl5VQK6pWKBhGvHdcwE&dib_tag=se&keywords=fermenting+lids+for+wide+mouth+mason+jars+ball&qid=1714328672&sprefix=,aps,179&sr=8-34#customerReviews

From 2018:
View attachment 3815135
View attachment 3815136
View attachment 3815138

View attachment 3815144
View attachment 3815145
View attachment 3815146

View attachment 3815149

Ta-da!
View attachment 3815157

View attachment 3815169

Instead of having the water drain directly from the bottom, I put a 90 elbow on the bottom drain hole and let the water drain from the top to bottom out, and instead of having the water pumped in on top, I have the water circling on the bottom up. I use bio balls that float and leave enough space for the water to circle on the bottom. The water moves the fish poop up off the bottom, so when I stuck my hand down to the bottom to check, I didn't feel any muck build up. Most of the poop gets broken down and accumulate around the floating bio balls. I clean and drain it once in a great while by pushing the floating balls up and down and opening the drain valve.
The return water from the filter goes into a plastic cement tub with a bell siphon that has a hole on top, so the water drains from the bottom up, but never empties. The nutrient in the water gets used up by the duck weed in the plastic cement tub. This prevents green algae from turning the water green and the duck weed is fed to the fish by lifting the bell siphon.

However, in this close system the KH in the water gets used up by the beneficial bacteria and when it goes to zero the nitrification or good bacteria goes dormant, and the water becomes toxic. I add baking soda to keep the nitrification bacteria active and do 10% water changes daily. If you see sick fish, this is the problem.

Last edited:
How does it remove the nitrates? Does the filter system become biologically active, "eating" the nitrates as water passes through?
The filter harbors bacteria that consumes the waste in the water, converts it to ammonia, which is then converted to nitrites. Then other bacteria converts it into nitrates. It's the same as what happens with biological aquarium filters.

I misspoke, the nitrates are removed through plants taking them up or through water changes. But if the filter is clogged as mine was, the waste is not converted, and builds up. Results of high nitrate levels are algae blooms or dying animal life.

Back
Top Bottom