What did you do in the garden today?

I seeded 80 tomatoes and I've lost 26 to some weird fungal wilt at the stem were it meets the soil. MOSTLY it's one variety, but a few others thrown in there to confuse me. I've NEVER had this happen before and this is the first time with this new seeding soil. I've chucked the rest out. I found promix at Home Depot! So I got some of that. I've never had a problem with that brand.
SO heat sun and moisture control for the rest of the new seedlings, they're now in the greenhouse.
I did start a flat of cells of the 6 varieties again so fill in the order gaps.
This is nuts.
Planted the indigo sweet corn and the sweet peas today.
Beyond that it was just allergy shot day and market day.

maybe that variety does not like water. or it was a bit cold for that variety. it did happened to me when I watered regularly and it was a bit chilly at nights. it also happened with okra when I planted it too early and soil was not warm enough for okra.

Trimmed my sad lavender bushes, which had die back from this weird winter. Check on the planted beds, seeds have germinated and come up. Planted the green onion bottoms and the sprouted onions, after using the bulb leaves, saving the middle. Saving seed from those . With the weather getting better, planting dahlias tomorrow.

I have a fire in the stove to turn the electric off.
Fire in the wood stove in the morning, then the house is warm for the day. No furnace use until October or November. I hope. :fl
Anyone else finish your spring rush to get everything planted and then afterwards you feel anxious because there's nothing to do but wait?
I calm that anxiety by weeding. :lauThere are always weeds in my gardens. Always.
I need to actually do some spring rushing! We are still a few weeks away from our average last frost date
Same here! I need to weed the uphill heavy soil garden, which I've been ignoring, because it will be for the tomatoes and peppers, and they are WEEKS away from leaving the green house.

Yeah, I have "choice paralysis" too. At least right now, I can get something on my list started: laundry.

It's an actual thing! I had to look it up what it's called: Choice paralysis! When you have so many options it is overwhelming, and you can't make a decision. That's kind of what I get at this time of year, apparently. It doesn't help to have new chicks and a new puppy that also require some of my brain-space.
I think my wife has that. I always said she loves indecision. She even has trouble with a yes or no question.:idunno

I sat the peat pot ice cube tray with collard seeds on a heating pad to help them germinate. Eggshells drying for the chickens in the background...

IMG_3968.JPG

I need to actually do some spring rushing! We are still a few weeks away from our average last frost date, but I'm having anxiety because there seems to be so much to do, and the anxiety is keeping me from moving forward. Which is stupid. And I know it's stupid. Which somehow adds more pressure, which makes it harder to move forward. What I need to do is make a schedule or something...
You just articulated my thoughts as I try to drift off to sleep every night. So then I write a list so I can sleep, but then I'm ticked I didn’t get more crossed off that list in the 1st place, cuz a lot of it was carried over from yesterday or when it rained or when some emergency changed my plans.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom