What did you do in the garden today?

Expansion and drip irrigation have been the focus for the past few weeks. Garden was 30’x80’ and is now 30’x120’. We expanded to run fence around the pineapples (deer like pineapple it seems…LOL) and add blueberries, blackberries and raspberry). Also slightly adjusted the beds so we can get the tractor down the center.

We were wasting a lot of water with sprinklers and not getting the irrigation we needed in FL, especially during dry spells. Bought 300 drippers, 1000ft of 1/4 and 1/2 line, couplers, T’s, etc. now have 6 zones in the garden on timers. Thankfully we have a well and I’ve burried a 200’ line (pre filter) and hose bibs, so watering isn’t a big price driver. Next is a dedicated line and hose bibs into the garden, and continue to try and get a dump truck load of wood chips (for free) or spend $700 on a truck load (to cover the underlayment fabric).

The projects never end…..

I have just made 10 lines with drippers but no timer. it suits me better to use it when needed and as long as needed. these 10 lines are for the trees only.

I have just made 10 lines with drippers but no timer. it suits me better to use it when needed and as long as needed. these 10 lines are for the trees only.

We added shutoff valves for each bed as well so we can adjust water or turn off when we aren’t using a bed.

I’ve been using drippers on hose timers for our potted garden with good results.

We added shutoff valves for each bed as well so we can adjust water or turn off when we aren’t using a bed.

I’ve been using drippers on hose timers for our potted garden with good results.

I plan (one day) to get a timer for vegetable garden. it needs to be watered every day in my climate. I just need to decide where to plant veggies.

I've left some along the fence for privacy as well. I'd love to put up a privacy fence but it's not quite happening.

I was so upset at the new neighbor behind us. He's been clearing his lot, which was incredibly overgrown. I suggested that he leave some big holly bushes that were growing along our fence, for privacy. They were about 10' tall. Nope. He got chainsaw happy, cut them all down and had a big bonfire. So I left a small grove of privet that I was planning to cut down. Argh.
Neighbors can be a real PITA, without even realizing it. Best thing you can do though, is stick to your own plans. You'll be happiest when you do...Most times, anyway. Lol

Didn't do anything in the garden, it was very windy & cold yesterday, supposed to rain but while got a few short showers, mostly it was just a constant windblown mist in the air, like on a boat riding rough sea, cold, wet & any exposed skin was stinging. I actually got a very windburn red face. I was bundled up in winter clothes, long underwear, winter hat & hood up, except for the face. I'm So Glad I did not plant the tomato sprouts when I was tempted...it is downright cold now!

Taking a break when it rained a bit yesterday. This is Romeo, he got a pedicure & overall mite check, he was clean! He Loves attention, hugs & was literally falling asleep in my lap. ❤️
20240504_140024.jpg

Saturday we were supposed to be painting but the weather said 8 hours of rain with the cold wind would hit. I will paint Monday. Instead, I moved chickens around, checked them all over for mites, trimmed a few very long spurs, & got the young 6 peepers out to their own section of clean coop. They're feathered now but still so little.

The chicks
20240505_113759.jpg

They've got the 8 month old group as neighbors & stare at them curiously, through the wire wall divider. They did venture out to the pen but wind scared them right back inside.

Brutal weather after those nice days, I feel like it was in the 40s, my bones ache this morning. Today, peaceful Sunday started out cold but the sun is out & wind died down, may go up to 50s. I plan on digging, moving & planting the wild berries & the few I got at TractorSupply, get groceries, & since we are in a chilly weather pattern, probably get another crockpot meal going. We ate up all the pot roast with Portobello, onion, carrots, celery & 3 types of potatoes & it was delicious. 😋

I set up some eyes of those 3 potatoes, a stalk of celery & a red onion to root. This lady inspires me.

Last edited:
Thanks to the Russian Sage, which I am allergic to, and the gross 'lord knows what' that was living in the soil between the weed barrier and the mud, I spent the whole day in a allergy sinus' headache haze. I'm glad to have that project done and that darn invasive crap out of my firebreak.
I actually bought a Russian Sage plant on purpose. It has not spread. Lamb's Ear seems to love spreading here more. Not sure why. Darn shame you're allergic to it. I'm allergic to Ragweed, Hyacinth, Lilac & Mums bad, but not bothered by Lavender or Russian Sage. Go figure.

The cursed weed I battle that makes me swear like a Sailor 😤 & hurts my carpal hands, wrists & even elbows...is dreaded Nutsedge. I'm telling ya...I've never been so ticked off at a plant before!!! 😡 I ripped out one 12 foot length grown up against 1 coop pen & It Took Hours & I Still Have To Dig Out the Damn Balls in the ground! So there goes my lower back!

Nutsedge was growing tall down the side of coop pens, that stuff is hard to mow, I Pulled most of it but you can see the clumps I could not pull. Need the shovel to finish & get the cement-like boulders consisting of balls dug out.
20240503_174224.jpg 20240503_171804.jpg 20240503_171757.jpg
20240505_113713.jpg 20240505_113656.jpg 20240505_113638.jpg
The balls are like a string of pearls out in the yard, but when up against any structure, wood, block foundation whatever, it becomes a massive boulder made up of pearls that are like cement & they get up against wood or masonry & attach like a freaking concrete leech! Yup, I am not typically foul mouthed, but that crap makes me cuss alot. It is the one thing I wish my flock would turf & dig up, but they avoid it, too. It must taste bad. (Wonder what goats would do?) Well, eating the top does nothing, it needs to be dug out & this crap can go pretty deep. Miss 1 little pearl, the size of a pinhead, and it's back! Well, it is what it is. 🤷 We all have that 1 weed we hate most, don't we! I am going to do my best to dig out as much as I can, when I can (so yeah, we're talking "Ongoing project" probably til the day I die).

When I get a section as clear of it as possible, I plant mint. Mint, you sweet smelling & pretty plant, you can grow along the chicken pens as long and as lush as ya want...please keep that damn Ball Grass out. (It does seem to help, where I've planted Mint before, that infernal sedge does not seem to invade as bad...I still need to look & pull what I see popping up amongst the mint, but it does not come back as strong.
Mint does well
20240505_113912.jpg 20240505_113906.jpg 20240505_113858.jpg
(Mint & Tiger Lilies)

I'm going to plant Mint & Sunflowers.

I call the sedge "Ball Grass". It's a long strand of grass above ground, but below, the roots are not roots, they're little round balls, not shaped like wild onion or scallion, just perfectly round, with no smell. When we 1st moved here, I'd pull it up, & there were these round white or greenish balls at the ends. I'd never seen it before. I mentioned it to a neighbor...what is this crap? Obviously, he never gardened, he said an onion? No way. Well, I needed to ID what this crap was, I could only describe it as "Ball Grass" which always got some laughter, but trying to eradicate this crap is no laughing matter, especially when trying to maintain an organic property. I am really so disgusted with this weed. The worse part...it is All Over! I think the previous owners planted it deliberately. Yeah you can mow it, gives the illusion of a green lawn, but try to plant anything else. Ugh, it is a nightmare I tell ya. I thought Bermuda Grass was bad (got that, too). Well Nutsedge Ball Grass Sucks Bigtime!!!

I found this info...wish I had more time & an extra bunch of hands for ripping it out lol

https://stillroomadventures2.blogspot.com/2016/08/getting-rid-of-nutgrass.html?m=1

Last edited:
I used to water my fruit trees using 5 gallon buckets with a small hole drilled in the side. Automatic drip lines are installed now. It's been a huge time saver.
I actually bought a Russian Sage plant on purpose. It has not spread. Lamb's Ear seems to love spreading here more. Not sure why. Darn shame you're allergic to it. I'm allergic to Ragweed, Hyacinth, Lilac & Mums bad, but not bothered by Lavender or Russian Sage. Go figure.

The cursed weed I battle that makes me swear like a Sailor 😤 & hurts my carpal hands, wrists & even elbows...is dreaded Nutsedge. I'm telling ya...I've never been so ticked off at a plant before!!! 😡 I ripped out one 12 foot length grown up against 1 coop pen & It Took Hours & I Still Have To Dig Out the Damn Balls in the ground! So there goes my lower back!

Nutsedge was growing tall down the side of coop pens, that stuff is hard to mow, I Pulled most of it but you can see the clumps I could not pull. Need the shovel to finish & get the cement-like balls dug out.
View attachment 3821754View attachment 3821755View attachment 3821756

The balls are like a string of pearls out in the yard, but when up against any structure, wood, block foundation whatever, it becomes a massive boulder made up of pearls that are like cement & they get up against wood or masonry & attach like a freaking concrete leech! Yup, I am not typically foul mouthed, but that crap makes me cuss alot. It is the one thing I wish my flock would turf & dig up, buy they avoid it, too. It must taste bad. (Wonder what goats would do?) Well, eating the top does nothing, it needs to be dug out & this crap can go pretty deep. Miss 1 little pearl, the size of a pinhead, and it's back! Well, it is what it is, 🤷 we all have that 1 weed we hate most, don't we! I am going to do my best to dig out as much as I can, when I can (so yeah, we're talking "Ongoing project" probably til the day I die).

When I get a section as clear of it as possible, I plant mint. Mint, you sweet smelling & pretty plant, you can grow along the chicken pens as long and as lush as ya want...please keep that damn Ball Grass out. (It does seem to help, where I've planted Mint before, that infernal sedge does not seem to invade as bad...I still need to look & pull what I see popping up amongst the mint, but it does not come back as strong. I call the sedge "Ball Grass". It's a long strand of grass above ground, but below, the roots are not roots, they're little round balls, not shaped like wild onion or scallion, just perfectly round, with no smell. When we 1st moved here, I'd pull it up, & there were these round white or greenish balls at the ends. I'd never seen it before. I mentioned it to a neighbor...what is this crap? Obviously, he never gardened, he said an onion? No way. Well, I needed to ID what this crap was, I could only describe it as "Ball Grass" which always got some laughter, but trying to eradicate this crap is no laughing matter, especially when trying to maintain an organic property. I am really so disgusted with this weed. The worse part...it is All Over! I think the previous owners planted it deliberately. Yeah you can mow it, gives the illusion of a green lawn, but try to plant anything else. Ugh, it is a nightmare I tell ya. I thought Bermuda Grass was bad (got that, too). Well Nutsedge Ball Grass Sucks Bigtime!!!
Ball grass, I've never heard it called that. 🤣 Sedge is pretty awful. One of my trees I got was potted, not bare root. It came with nutsedge (had no idea) and have been trying to get rid of it entirely for years. It's worse than bamboo.

I love your chicken run/coop area!

I planted mint in the ground, next to the chicken run, before we left for the weekend. I mentioned what I did to DH while we were in line for a ride. I now have his blessing to pick up one of the neighbors feed pallet piles and make new planters for my mint and so he can have more hops. 😁

My to-do list was getting shorter. Had to fix that! 🤣

I've got 6 dozen scrambled eggs in the freeze dryer - cooked ones.

I'm looking forward to testing their rehydration for camping etc.

=======
Waiting on the humming birds. They're late by two weeks, but have been spotted 8 miles down the road. I bet they'll show up tomorrow or monday.
Would love to hear how it goes... Being able to freeze dry eggs is one of the biggest reasons why I want a HR

Back
Top Bottom