What did you do in the garden today?

@pennyJo1960 , what in the heck is this stuff growing in the pot? The leaves remind me of thyme, but it seems too short to be that.

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 6.29.00 PM.png

I didn't do anything in the garden today other than look at it from afar. I did put my tomato plants outside for a couple of hours to start hardening them off. Guess that counts.

I am wore out. Mowed, planted tomato plants and green bean seed. Two rounds of rain tomorrow and 2 more rainy days. So tired of all the rain. Squash transplants look sad. They were hardened off and dark green when planted. All the rain has them turning yellow.
How does the saying go 🤔 “ones man nightingale is another man’s owl” 🤪 We would love to have more rain 🙏🏻

we’ve been having more issues with bugs. Not surprising since bugs go where the food is, and gardens have lots of food and great environments.

So, decided to buy beneficial nematodes this year. I’ve bought them one other time and applied them 1x. This time I’ve ordered a subscription for 1x per month, ending in Sept (or cancel anytime). Hopefully we can knock back the population and then only get them 1x next year.
IMG_4851.jpeg

The hardest part is keeping everything moist.

I don’t see grasshoppers on this list, so I’ll need to try to see what I can do to manage those. There is a bacterium for controlling grasshoppers: NOLO bait, but apparently only 3 companies ever produced it, now the only one still considered to be in production hasn’t made any for a couple of years due to contamination issues.

Overall, just trying to knock back the populations to be minor, vs easily noticeable and problematic.

One pest problem I cannot control is the one my neighbor creates. He tosses out a pumpkin to rot in a corner of his garden. This grows random pumpkins..unchecked, not sprayed, and teeming with squash bugs, so much that you can see movement from a distance. This is also a host spot for SVB. So, no doubt there are lots of SVB pupae in his ground. I did start my trap crops this year, and I plan to put them into large containers that I can move. So, hopefully this will help to keep SVB away from my main squash.

@pennyJo1960 , what in the heck is this stuff growing in the pot? The leaves remind me of thyme, but it seems too short to be that.

View attachment 3823779

I didn't do anything in the garden today other than look at it from afar. I did put my tomato plants outside for a couple of hours to start hardening them off. Guess that counts.
Creeping thyme? They can be very beautiful ground covers.

So foggy here 6am & at 7am Still could not even see out into my own yard. I guess it will be a wet week. That's fine, just no more 30s or low 40s Temps please! 🙏
When it clears up a bit I will get a few pics of what I managed to accomplish yesterday. Not many, not much to show, only what I planted, not what I ripped out...cuz I did not get "before pics" so now, what's been weeded is not really photo worthy...ya know how 4 hours of pulling weeds goes...all that aching back & sore knee work never seems to "look" like a lot gets done. Darn...should've photographed the weed pile Before I picked it all up & let the chickens have it!!! Yeah, DH sometimes says "I don't know what you do all day" Uh, hello...yeah... 😠 Are ya trying to tick me off? You do want me make your tired butt dinner don't ya? 😆 Yesterday he was so tired but I asked him to please do a short walkabout with me, let me show ya "why" I'm covered with dirt & those biting gnat marks (gardening without gloves then wiping gnats off my face with garden soil hands). I made blueberry pancakes & eggs for dinner. I can eat breakfast food at Any Time 😋. We were both so wiped out, fell asleep shortly after we ate. Lol Gettin old, huh.

Temps look good this coming week! Maybe I can put the long underwear & winter hats away. Wet...hmmm, good for sowing more wildflower seeds. 👍 Screenshot_20240507_091835_WBOC Weather.jpg

Last edited:
Creeping thyme? They can be very beautiful ground covers.
I've seen some gorgeous creeping Thyme, thick like a carpet. A lady had it on a steep bank, a deep purple pink color. I am thinking of using it where I have some paver walking stones...hoping it would fill in like this photo I found. I originally planted moss & it did well til July & August heat hit. Then weeds invaded. So I know I must plant something there.
Screenshot_20240507_092358_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom