What did you do in the garden today?

These will be the only C. Pepo squash I plant. They're both bush varieties, and I wonder if it would matter that much if they crossed.

I'll see which I like better, save seed from one to plant next year. And compare that to the originals. I bet I'll have plenty of seed left over.
2 zuke varieties crossing. I doubt you would notice. Here is a true story. In the 80s I had a Philopena neighbor about 1/4 mile away. She liked to garden. I was still open pollinating C. Peppo. Next year I had really long skinny squash from her squash pollen. She had squash that looked like some of mine. :lol:

I weeded my flower bed by the mail box, argh this mum style weed is the pits... Takes over the bed with runners. I have no idea how to get rid of it. I'm going to try to do weeding in the morning before work. I ordered three fig trees and some chamomile. Played some chocolate kiss today and moved my catnip and a low growing plant... Can't remember the name... Will be seeding zinnias as well and am rehydrating some strawberry plants as ground cover.

You guys are an inspiration!

When I need BT I get it at the big box stores.
The big box stores near me don't carry it in a large enough amount to be worth buying, unless in dire need. The Arbico Organics place had the gallon size for a better price than I had been seeing AND they gave me $5 off. So, I'm just waiting, now. I'm excited to do something to get at these flippin' destructo spongy/gypsy moth caterpillars!

I started a few more seeds today: lettuce, marigolds, sage, rosemary and zinnia seeds that I saved from last year.

And I planted tomatoes in the garden. Five Roma, 2 Oregon Spring, 2 Stupice, 2 Black Krim, 3 Large Cherry and 2 Early Girls. That should keep me in tomatoes over the winter. I still have three large cherry tomato plants left, but not sure where to plant them.
Hmm, you seem to be missing Genovese Basil.

just popped into my brain & bummed me out a bit.
I got bummed out twice, the next morning the basil sprouts were gone, something ate them, it's either snails, slugs or crickets. I bounced back and planted more Genovese basil indoor. This time, I will grow them indoor under my 320W grow light, its rated for a 4 x 4 tent, so I shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited:
Yesterday here was cold, windy & rainy. Went from a/c back to heat. I was forcing myself to rest on ice packs because the sacroiliac shots won't work if I jump back right into my normal activities. The sun is shining this morning. I must get eggs to market & tend to flock but will also do a walk about & check over the garden areas once it dries up more out there. I can already see the weeds out front that I didn't get to yet are thriving. Well, it's not like they're goin anywhere 😆 they'll be there when I get to them. And that'll be a project...They're growing in rocks & gravel. I did pick off all the seed heads at least. I just can't do digging right now. The shots have made a difference in the lower back but the right hip is still hurting so I will probably need more shots there.

I do need to get some more seeds planted! Direct sow outside, the corn seeds. The farmers are just doing theirs so I'm still ok timewise, I guess, but I feel very late. Where does time go?

I didn't plant corn. nights are still cold here and I don't want to waste my precious seeds (oaxaca green). we had some rain that brought us cold but not enough water.

Has anyone saved zucchini seeds to plant the next year? I'm planting both Black Beauty and Fordhook varieties, which are bush types. If they do well, I'd like to save the seed.

However, there are enough seeds in the packet for at least 2-3 years.:)

I have black beauty and some yellow. I plan to plant 1 variety first and about 3 months later when it is done I will plant another one. that way they don't cross pollinate.

Good morning gardeners. Happy Mother’s Day to all the Moms out there. I think I caught a glimpse of the Aurora last night. There was some scattered clouds but I snapped this on my phone. A little faint.

IMG_6733.jpeg
IMG_6734.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom