What did you do with your flock today?

Fall has arrived in Ohio! We raked leaves and put up a plastic panel or two. Then took a nap on a lap!

IMG_4856.jpeg

Well, I'm not as mad at hubby lately 😂 poor guy. He is getting better and is slightly ahead of schedule. He is certainly accident prone. I can count the times I have seen him tossed off a horse on 2 hands (🖐✌️). Also, slide off a roof, scaffolding, ladders ✔️✔️ etc. Somewhere along the line i just started getting mad at him. 🤣🤣🤣
I could have given him lessons on how to fall. I can trip on that blade of grass that the mower missed.

Well yesterday, I obviously had another lapse in judgment. View attachment 3681164
Meet Waihona (clipped ear 😕). Sibling of MakaneView attachment 3681166
I'll see what I can do for (her? Better check paperwork) the kitty. Maybe friendly it up enough to keep it from life on the streets 🤞?
All kttens, except for Tally,View attachment 3681169
are all post surgery, happy to be home and doing well watching Tally climb the soursop tree and brooder, storage shed, condo, me, the shop, avo tree... 🙄View attachment 3681170
I love reading about your kitty rescue.

We moved here in 2006. In 2007 a stray gray tabby had a litter of kittens under our shed. Before I could trap her she had a second litter. I did manage to trap/TNR most of her kittens. For a short time I had 8 cats hanging around, but the attrition here is high. The tabby, Momma Cat, and her eldest daughter, Mittsie, were residents until a couple years ago. Now that they're gone the ferals are moving in.

So I am feeding them canned cat food to get them used to hanging around and eating here, the easier to trap them.

Breakthrough this afternoon:
IMG_20231114_163641038.jpg

Little calico came up and started eating while I was still standing there.

The white/flame-point was more hesitant, but definitely less scared.
IMG_20231114_163647635.jpg

Our local spay clinic has a weeks-long wait for appointments, so I am going to make a couple feral appointments and work on getting these kitties more comfortable around me before I trap them.

Oh, and the white cat likes to watch my flock. Typical cat fascination for birds.

Hopping onto this thread only 1,524 pages later…

Oh well. I like talking chickens so this seems like the place. I’ve read some posts but it’s quite a bit to catch up on. Ok if I hop on now?

My newest chicks are a week old today and happy to report they hate me just as much as my first flock did at this age. Tried to do my daily butt checks and one managed to get out of the brooder and run behind my fridge garage. So that was fun! Why do they think I’m trying to murder them? My older girls are 24 weeks and 2 out of 5 are laying. Today my barred rock squatted for me so I’m expecting a 3rd layer any day now! My Easter egger is getting nice and red so I’m expecting her to start soon, though I can’t really tell with that breed. And my buff Orphington is taking her sweet time maturing. She’s still barely turning red in her comb.

Hopping onto this thread only 1,524 pages later…

Oh well. I like talking chickens so this seems like the place. I’ve read some posts but it’s quite a bit to catch up on. Ok if I hop on now?

My newest chicks are a week old today and happy to report they hate me just as much as my first flock did at this age. Tried to do my daily butt checks and one managed to get out of the brooder and run behind my fridge garage. So that was fun! Why do they think I’m trying to murder them? My older girls are 24 weeks and 2 out of 5 are laying. Today my barred rock squatted for me so I’m expecting a 3rd layer any day now! My Easter egger is getting nice and red so I’m expecting her to start soon, though I can’t really tell with that breed. And my buff Orphington is taking her sweet time maturing. She’s still barely turning red in her comb.
Welcome to the thread!! Yes hop in. Always great to have new feathered friends. Photos always welcomed 😉🐔💕

I could have given him lessons on how to fall. I can trip on that blade of grass that the mower missed.
Oh gosh, not so fun. Hurts more as we age.
One day my husband was at the pasture and managed to step on a pile of fire ants and get stung all up and down his leg, get stung by a centipede on his hand 5 minutes later... and something else equally painful, can't quite remember at the moment. Ill add when i do remember. Less than a week later he broke his hip 🫤
Maybe I am the one who should take out a good insurance policy on him... 🤔
Def not letting you and him hang out. My nerves could not take it 😳

Rounds made in the dark and all the doors closed. I've got to look for a New Hampshire cockerel. He is missing at coop check tonight. I hope he just chose a new place to roost with a new girlfriend. It's plenty to cool enough tonight to wait til noon tomorrow to gather eggs. Much to my delight I have a Dark Cornish hen setting on eggs tonight. Wish it was one of the Delaware or Rode Island girls for temperament but we take what we can get. Time to check the incubator and see how many more mouths to feed have decided to hatch. So far just 2.

Welcome to the thread!! Yes hop in. Always great to have new feathered friends. Photos always welcomed 😉🐔💕
Thanks! Here are my new babies. It’s truly incredible how quickly they grow and change in just a week!

Cream legbar, partridge olive egger, green queen Easter egger, and my favorite my long awaited golden laced polish.

IMG_2781.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom