What did you do with your flock today?

I bought a fresh bale of straw today so I tossed some of the last flakes from the old bale in the run.
View attachment 3772886
The girls had been kicking it out of the nesting boxes, so they needed replenishing, too.
View attachment 3772888
All I have to do is start to uncover the bale I store in the run and the chickens get excited, they LOVE straw!
Straw has hidden goodies. Mine love it, too.

What do you all think? Wondering if this blue egger is a cockerel? It's the only one with this dark spot. Last pic is top view. They are 11 days old. Sorry about the wire. They are still too spooked by the phone.

Other one is a Dominant Copper. It's got flare foot feathers. I wonder what breed contributed to this? She'll lay dark brown eggs.
20240316_114155.jpg
20240316_120102.jpg

Attachments

• 20240316_111209.jpg
    20240316_111209.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240316_115407.jpg
    20240316_115407.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Today, and this weekend we have a summer preview, it was 70 today and sunny. Gorgeous weather. Went out to check the coop for mites, and yes, there were scattered ones, so made up a batch of spray. Ran out of cinnamon oil, so will have to order more. A part that didn't get well sprayed before showed some minute mites, and they are now dead. I know I'll have to keep checking and treating all summer, short of burning this coop and starting over with a metal building!

Got the chicks a nice, deeper container of dirt to play in, as the grass and the attached dirt is no longer in the shallow containers. They had dust bathed and kicked it all out.

My son and were amazed that these little chicks are doing big chicken behaviors. God sure has programmed animals instincts perfectly.

My girls are absolute buggers for flinging fresh straw out of the coops onto the sandy floor of the run. It drives me nuts when I can't sweep it off the sand and I don't have space in the garden to spread any so I put a bale down for them in my bush fruit cage at the allotment- you'd think all their birthdays and Christmas had come at once!
Your girls are so pretty btw 😍
Thank you!

They're awful chatty, lately, and I'm hoping one will decide to be a momma. While I've been waiting for a hen to go broody, again I've been saving eggs for that occasion.

What do you all think? Wondering if this blue egger is a cockerel? It's the only one with this dark spot. Last pic is top view. They are 11 days old. Sorry about the wire. They are still too spooked by the phone.

Other one is a Dominant Copper. It's got flare foot feathers. I wonder what breed contributed to this? She'll lay dark brown eggs.View attachment 3773699View attachment 3773712
I just know they're damn adorable!
I'm totally hopeless at sexing chicks, the only one I've ever got right immediately was Ferdy. I knew within the first two days he was a boy. I've second, third and fourth guessed all the others so I'd not like to hazard a guess on your little charmer.
Your dominant copper looks a fiesty little floof. Those feathered feet - just darling! 🥰

Other one is a Dominant Copper. It's got flare foot feathers. I wonder what breed contributed to this? She'll lay dark brown eggs.View attachment 3773699View attachment 3773712
It’s a bit early to know! I don’t think the spot on the head means anything for that color variety but I could be wrong. I know my ODs have a chick down that causes a head spot but doesn’t mean anything like it does with the barred spot on the head. Eggers are so tough cuz you never really know what they use for the combo! Looks like it will be really pretty though 😍 Another week it may be easier to sex! The dark girl is really pretty! 😍 Looks like you got some really cute babies!

Today, and this weekend we have a summer preview, it was 70 today and sunny. Gorgeous weather. Went out to check the coop for mites, and yes, there were scattered ones, so made up a batch of spray. Ran out of cinnamon oil, so will have to order more. A part that didn't get well sprayed before showed some minute mites, and they are now dead. I know I'll have to keep checking and treating all summer, short of burning this coop and starting over with a metal building!

Got the chicks a nice, deeper container of dirt to play in, as the grass and the attached dirt is no longer in the shallow containers. They had dust bathed and kicked it all out.

My son and were amazed that these little chicks are doing big chicken behaviors. God sure has programmed animals instincts perfectly.
I agree! It is amazing how the natural instincts kick in almost immediately! I marvel at this all the time! Scratching, trying to dust bathe, snuggling together for warmth 😍 It’s just amazing in such teeny little packages!

Back
Top Bottom