What did you do with your flock today?

I ordered more dwarf chicks from Greenfire. Just 6...but chicks not eggs this time. A fellow from a group I'm in got lavender dwarfs recently so 🤞for some.

I have more 2nd generation yoko crosses hatching. Yokohama/aloha and yokohama/cemani. I've been handling the babies hatching for the woman's 4h project along with my babies and now the whole lot are spoiled rotten. Some of them cry when left in the brooder and leap up trying to reach me. So ending up spending a lot of time toting a basketful of chicks around and laughing at the kittens curiosity about them. The kittens look confused by the chicks but sure love stealing their water and stepping in their food 🙄😂View attachment 3791808
Gorgeous sleepy floofs! 😴 🥰😍
I'm sooo ready for new bebees it's not even funny! DH is digging his heels in, however - bah!:th:he:rant

Tonight when I brought him in for the night I stopped and set him down in my chair. He stayed there until I got back with his bedtime snack. Then sat in my lap for awhile before I took him to his kennel for the night. I've never had a rooster or hen like him before.
It's just the best feeling having that special, social roo, isn't it? That special boy who  wants to spend his time with you and is content in your company. The one you really bond with? ❤️
Is Legs more intelligent than average? I'm just wondering as out of the birds I've had it's the cleverest birds who seem to enjoy human company most.

It's just the best feeling having that special, social roo, isn't it? That special boy who  wants to spend his time with you and is content in your company. The one you really bond with? ❤️
Is Legs more intelligent than average? I'm just wondering as out of the birds I've had it's the cleverest birds who seem to enjoy human company most.
Its very heart warming how you love your chicken. 🐓❤️

Attachments

• IMG_6467.jpeg
    IMG_6467.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 4
.... Heh. Haha. Hahahahaha.

I live in the panhandle of Texas, this is my every couple of days.

I remember thinking it was super windy, but now I'm used to it. ... I have started to only think it's windy if I get sandblasted and dust in my teeth. 🤣🤣
A lot of my family are from the Texas panhandle. Y'all don't have many trees to be a wind break like us!

Ya know...
Ok, so I have a teenage roo, and I have now named him puppy. He wants cuddles. He wants to sit on me a get petted to sleep. I keep expecting the teenager to kick in, and him to not like cuddles anymore, but it hasn't happened yet.
I wonder if it won't?

A lot of my family are from the Texas panhandle. Y'all don't have many trees to be a wind break like us!
Yeah, I will say it was disconcerting to move to a place where you can actually see for 10 miles, because there's not much in the way of trees or elevation changes. I love it here now, despite the semi-regular exfoliating wind.

So... I think I have mentioned my hen, Badger before. She's typically one of my top hens in the pecking order, and when I let her brood, she teaches her chicks that I'm their rooster.
This morning I found her huddled under a bush, hiding from a few of my other hens. I pulled her out, and looked her over, cause she was huddled up and I didn't know why.
She seemed fine, so I let her go and like 5 of my orpingtons started pecking her, and one hen tried to mount her. One of my normally tame roosters did mount her... Just to show dominance (there was no mating, he stood on her back and pecked her head), and then my lead rooster took a turn. When they where done, she hid under the bush again, huddled and tail down.
Has anyone seen this before? I don't understand what happened.
I have her in my sick pen now, as I figured she could do with a safe place to take a break.
Yes, this is what I have done with my flock today...🤣😭

So... I think I have mentioned my hen, Badger before. She's typically one of my top hens in the pecking order, and when I let her brood, she teaches her chicks that I'm their rooster.
This morning I found her huddled under a bush, hiding from a few of my other hens. I pulled her out, and looked her over, cause she was huddled up and I didn't know why.
She seemed fine, so I let her go and like 5 of my orpingtons started pecking her, and one hen tried to mount her. One of my normally tame roosters did mount her... Just to show dominance (there was no mating, he stood on her back and pecked her head), and then my lead rooster took a turn. When they where done, she hid under the bush again, huddled and tail down.
Has anyone seen this before? I don't understand what happened.
I have her in my sick pen now, as I figured she could do with a safe place to take a break.
Yes, this is what I have done with my flock today...🤣😭
I hope for you flock harmony. Glad the little gal is safe tho. Good luck as I have no idea how to interpret that situation with roos. Awww, give her a little treat 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom