What did you use for your inside walls?

MamaManda

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2011
SW Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to figure out what to use for walls inside my new coop. I've seen everything from sheetrock to beadboard in the coops on BYC. I keep a very clean coop, in a very visible (not like the inside will be visible) part of my yard. I don't want to spend a ton - but I want it to last and make cleaning easier. Anyone used tile board? Any other ideas for cleanable walls?? We're also in Vancouver, near Portland, so we get lots of rain. Something waterproof would be cool. (Not sure how watertight my construction is yet...
hide.gif
)

I just painted the inside with primer and then exterior high gloss paint one coat each. Our walls are the interior portion of T111 boards. I thought about insulating and putting up plywood, but in VA we get very humid summers and I didn't want to trap moisture in the walls. It does get very dusty in there - but the walls stay pretty clean with very little effort.

97463_sunday_lights_023.jpg
97463_sunday_lights_022.jpg

x2 to the the high gloss enamel paint, plus if it's white it can help you spot mite problems in the early stages! Just make sure you air it out well before moving the chooks in.

Quote:
Ditto this. I used an oil-based, exterior semi-gloss on the inside (backside of T111). I actually painted the studs and wallboards during construction because I didn't want to be inside the coop painting it. It's very washable. I went with sky blue so the birds would feel like they were in the great outdoors
lol.png

ETA: I found my paint on clearance sale but look for a table of mistints or head to the Habitat Restore for a gently used gallon of good paint, cheap.

Last edited:
I put up 1/4" chip board (aka - particle board & OSB) on the inside of my coup. It was only $5 for a 4'x8' sheet. Then primed it with Kilz and painted it with leftover pink interior latex paint from my daughters room.

We insulate our walls, then cover them with 5/8 high moisture sheet rock.
The bottom 4' of the coup has FRP ( fiber glass re enforced pannels) run on the peramiter.
The FRP is glued over the sheet rock.
The area above the sheet rock is primed and painted.
This allows up to pressure wash the floors and the lower side walls.
Not the cheapest method but has a very long service life.

just my.02

Quote:
Ditto this. I used an oil-based, exterior semi-gloss on the inside (backside of T111). I actually painted the studs and wallboards during construction because I didn't want to be inside the coop painting it. It's very washable. I went with sky blue so the birds would feel like they were in the great outdoors
lol.png

ETA: I found my paint on clearance sale but look for a table of mistints or head to the Habitat Restore for a gently used gallon of good paint, cheap.

My quail coop is constructed just like this, and I find that it is pretty hard to clean out because there are so many corners that they poop in. (On each side of the 2x4's at ground level.) The quail are much smaller though, so they can stand on the 2x4's. Do the chickens not poop in the corners? Painting the backside of the plywood and the framing would be much cheaper....

I used a thin, masonite type of paneling inside both of my coop. It's about $11 a 4x8 sheet (Lowes). It's very easy to wipe down. I run white duct tape down the seams. However, I agree that that a high glass paint would work just as well, and would stand up to water/potential dampness well.
37862_chickens_11_weeks_008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom