What do chicks do when to hot?

I also find it a little odd that they would be dying from the heat like that. 84 for 4 day old chicks should be comfortable for them, espeially if they have a cool place to go. Let me know the temperature inside their container!
It is the same 84, it’s a large open top watermelon box it even has holes insides so air circulates through there’s about 10 square feet in it and the brooder plate only takes up one square foot. Had I verified and seen that everyone knew where water was and was eating the first day I got them. I lost 5 last night. The rest all seem good

It is the same 84, it’s a large open top watermelon box it even has holes insides so air circulates through there’s about 10 square feet in it and the brooder plate only takes up one square foot. Had I verified and seen that everyone knew where water was and was eating the first day I got them. I lost 5 last night. The rest all seem good
That's good that they're all feeling better. Sorry you lost so many. I wonder if there was something more going on if they weren't drinking right at first and eating.

May or may not be helpful at this point, but have you considered aspergillosis?

A warm, moist brooder plus respiratory issues. And increased airflow from the ceiling fan may have pushed away dust and spores. Also might explain a chicks failure to thrive.

I’m not sure what the recovery rate is if this were the problem, but I’m glad things are looking up now.

Back
Top Bottom