what do hawks look like when...

krapnet

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
How do hawks hunt? do they perch nearby or do they fly in circles really high, if you scare them do they come back? I am just trying to ge tmore information on hawks and there habits. also I wouldn't mind reading any of your hawk stories
tongue.png
or remedies

Thanks! .

I have been having some hawk problems the last couple of months. The hawk around us likes to perch in the trees around the property and wait to make its move, but I have seen it flying around sometimes. I have tried many times to scare this one away, and it doesn't work. It just keeps coming back. I haven't found a remedy that actually works yet. Some people say to hang CDs in various places, but others say it doesn't work. For now I just don't let my chickens out unless I can be out there with them or near a window so I can see what's going on. I have been told that my hawk problems should be over when snow flies because hawks don't stick around then, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Are you having some hawk problems too?

yes I am in fact I just now had to lock them up because out the window one of the chickens was "frozen" on the spot, I come out, and see 2 black dot's in the sky. after chasing them inside the coop, the hawks flew away. the CD's are still hanging off the apple tree. I guess the only options is watch them and keep the windows up haha.

Sadly, that is the only option. I wish there was some way to solve the problem, but since hawks are on the protected list, there isn't really anything to be done.

Quote: In various ways
Quote: Yes, at times most hawks will perch, and attack if they detect prey

Quote: Yes, that is another method all hawks use at times

Quote: Yes, they will, if there is something to attract them.

There is vey little you can do that will REALLY "deter" a hawk

Most methods simply don't work, even though many will claim they do
The only thing that DOES work is to securely confine your birds

All other methods rely largely on LUCK

Back
Top Bottom