What do I do Now?

Hens Solo

Songster
Nov 6, 2019
LaFayette Georgia
I've finished building these 4 egg laying quail pens. I figure capacity is about 72 coturnix hens and I might get 30-60 eggs per day. We can consume about 10 per day. What do I do with excess production? I've checked with local food outlets and they say I have to have FDA approval. Don't tell me I should have planned ahead. I absolutely love this hobby and will not waste eggs. I'm just looking for ideas to distribute excess eggs to pay for feed and a few bucks extra without going through gov't hassle. My eggs will be organic and medicated-free.

Attachments

• IMG_6923[1].JPG
    IMG_6923[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
It might not be that hard to get an egg handler's license. Apparently in GA you have to attend a class, then pay for your license. I have my CA egg handler's license. It took about 6 weeks to process, but now I'm completely legal to sell eggs.
Thanks Nabiki .. I might look into it if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I plan to take good care of my birds and keep them disease free.

Been there... You can pickle them. You can also scramble them and feed them back to your quail. I sold a lot of hens and scaled down my operation when I got tired of getting 3 dozen eggs a day, lol...

You can list them on craigslist or FB marketplace. I just looked at the GA egg law and it doesn't look like quail eggs apply so you should be able to sell them to individuals without issue...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom