What do I do with the wound from here?

If it makes you feel any better, broody hens and chicks ignore these guidelines too.
I understand the broody hens and chicks. Right now, my broody hen is with her chicks in a brooder with no heat, but, where do the chicks get their heat when they are not with a broody hen? I understand they can huddle, but what about the ones on the outside? Do they stay warm enough?

I understand the broody hens and chicks. Right now, my broody hen is with her chicks in a brooder with no heat, but, where do the chicks get their heat when they are not with a broody hen? I understand they can huddle, but what about the ones on the outside? Do they stay warm enough?
The birds in question on this thread are 5 weeks old and well feathered and the weather is mild. They do not need a heat lamp.

Thank you. I thought 8-weeks was the time.
Another old wives' tale, Tricia; old wives who wanted to keep their chicks in the spare bedroom, when hubs wants to toss them in the coop.🤣
Seriously, when I raise chicks without a mama hen (outdoors in the brooder ) they use the mama heating pad for two to three weeks. After that, they occasionally sit on top. I remove it at 4 weeks, even in the fall. They are fully feathered and ready to roost by then.

I have a quick question for you guys on this if you'd be willing answer on the current thread. I'm not sure when is good to put this girl back with the flock, one said when the wound was no longer visible and I'm trying to judge what that counts as with chickens. Here's a picture of this little one's wound from yesterday as of this morning, it looks like it has scabbed over fairly well, but would she be ok to put back with everyone or would she stay separate a little longer with this?

Attachments

• 20230417_101541.jpg
    20230417_101541.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 2
I have a quick question for you guys on this if you'd be willing answer on the current thread. I'm not sure when is good to put this girl back with the flock, one said when the wound was no longer visible and I'm trying to judge what that counts as with chickens. Here's a picture of this little one's wound from yesterday as of this morning, it looks like it has scabbed over fairly well, but would she be ok to put back with everyone or would she stay separate a little longer with this?
This might ok if they aren't cramped in and have plenty of personal space. I had a similar issue years ago and made something like a "hen saddle" with a cotton handkerchief that hung over the exposed area. The others left her alone until feathers regrew in the fall. Just keep a close eye on things.

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

You have lots of room in the coop and added clutter. Put her in with them. The sooner the better.

Back
Top Bottom