What do I do

RiDaGeckoGuy

Songster
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh county, OK
I have a broody hen on like 2 day old eggs that I didn’t know about. I thought they were all golf balls and 3 days ago when she went to eat there were only golf balls. Come to find out she threw all the golf balls out and is on two of her eggs and an EE egg. I will have chicks hatch from the incubator this weekend and she has been on the golf balls for two week. So should I take the eggs away and give her golf balls or let her hatch them risking her not being broody anymore.

Do you need her as a brooder? If she's only been sitting on the eggs for a couple of days, I'd toss them out and put her in broody jail. If she's been sitting on the eggs for two weeks, I would let her finish hatching them and sell them once she's ready to let them go. If you can candle them to see how far along they are, that'd be helpful.

The eggs under her are only two days old and I want her to raise a few of my baby chicks
Alright then, I would remove the eggs and give the golf balls back to her. If the eggs in the incubator is near hatching, you might be able to give her a few duds to better satisfy her.

On a side note, why didn't you just let her hatch the eggs that is in the incubator?

So she's only been sitting on the actual eggs for two days? If so, you can remove them and throw them away, and put the golf balls back under her. Whether she will accept chicks from your incubator is another question, though. Some will, some won't.
No I wouldn’t throw the eggs away - the chicks have probably started to form and that would be like killing them before they even got a chance to live? On day two of incubation chicks already look like the second image.
1708033311420.jpeg

I don’t mean any rudeness or disrespect but I’m just saying.

It’s the highschools AG incubator I’m not their and she went broody a week after I put the eggs in the incubator
I would just let her sit on them until your eggs you have now hatch out and then put those ones in the incubator. Or just leave them with her.... if you are planning on letting them continue to form inside the egg

Back
Top Bottom