What do i feed COCKERALS?

CashmereSussex

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Okies well im new to the "Chick" thing so im not sure what to feed cockerals

i feed my chicks with this thing

From 1 day old i feed them "Chick Starter" until about 12 weeks

After 12 weeks i feed "Pullet Grower" to the pullets but i dont know what to feed my roos

and at 6 months i feed "Course Layer Mash" and yea i dont know what to feed the boys

I believe they should just eat the layer feed the hens eat, since they will anyway. They don't make a food just for roosters that I know of, unless they are broilers or roasters. I could be wrong, but I've not heard it be mentioned that roosters have a special diet. I HAVE heard that they eat alot more than hens, though. Thats one reason some people don't keep them around.....feed costs and all.

We don't eat our boys, they get the same feed the girls get - currently certified organic layer mash. We provide water, feed, oyster shell and grit free-choice 24/7. The boys haven't touched the oyster shell. Our flock forages our farm from sun up to sun down, and don't eat at the feed any more than the girls do. I know this because I'm currently unemployed and spend hours with my flock.

Last edited:
Here is the way I compromised with the rooster feeding. I have a Southern States dealer here. They make a pelleted feed called Rooster Booster, which is almost identical to Flock Raiser by Purina. It doesn't have the high calcium levels, but does have 20% protein. When my girls are out ranging, I keep that in a pan and they all eat that. I keep the layer feed and oyster shell inside the coop. The Girls eat the oyster shell and the rooster mostly eats the Rooster Booster since they are out of the pen alot. You could just feed that plus oyster shell and the hens would be fine and so would the roos. My rooster does eat some of the layer pellets, but he won't get the excessive calcium that causes problems with some roosters over time, I've heard. It is more trouble, that's for sure, and most people just feed the roos whatever the hens eat. Scratch or corn is not an adequate feed for any chickens, hens or roos. Too high in carbs, too low in protein.

And you can feed them the pullet grower until they start to lay.

Last edited:
Corn is not nutritional as the only food for any chicken.

You can get rooster feed at the feed store (usually called game cock feed). It is grains as well as pelleted feed made especially for roosters. It doesn't have the level of calcium and other nutrients hens require.

However, if the roosters are housed with the hens, feeding them the layer food is fine.

Back
Top Bottom