What do I feed my geese?

My geese were born April 15th and April 22nd. One of them is getting its feathers in but it seems like the wing is turned outward or droopy like it keeps slipping out of place. She doesnt seem bothered by it and she doesn't seem to try to pull it back. Is this angel wing?

My geese were born April 15th and April 22nd. One of them is getting its feathers in but it seems like the wing is turned outward or droopy like it keeps slipping out of place. She doesnt seem bothered by it and she doesn't seem to try to pull it back. Is this angel wing?
There are two problems that they can have...angel wing, also dropped wing. It has to do with fast feather growth, it seems.
Best to tuck the wing up in its right place and bind it to the rest of the wing to support it. Do some research on angel wing, you´ll find how to do it on there if you´re not sure, but it really isn´t difficult. It´s best to do this at a month old, but you may be able to help it at this age.

it is both of them. She is an african goose and the feathers are coming out there now and they are droopy. the other two geese are fine

it is both of them. She is an african goose and the feathers are coming out there now and they are droopy. the other two geese are fine
Colleen, can you get a pic and post it on the African thread? Someone with Africans may be able to identify it. Angel wing is when the last part of the wing is twisting outwards. Dropped wing is different, and can happen because of fast growth, thich, of course, an African will do. If it´s dropped wing, then wrap/tape it up to give it support, very similar to ]Angel wing. But if you post on the African thread, you may get someone who knows how to deal with it in Africans, and if it´s common, etc......

Hi
Our 1 year old toulouse goose seemed fine all winter in our cold northern clime. As spring sprang he has become very quiet, doesn't answer to his name or spread his wings when we feed. He is mobile but with less active demeanor. We feed corn and protein in winter but now will cut the corn after reading these entries. He is with two pekins who seem normal but is not leading them around like he used to. He is on a large pond with fresh grass around. It might be too long since the lawnmower broke. Should we be giving him grit or anything else to eat? Any ideas as to why his behavior for the last month or two is so different? thanks for any advice you can give

I have organic chickens so I want to make sure they get the best of the best. My geese however are my freerange yardbirds. In fact they range all the way to my neighbors pond. I love all of my animals, and so far I have had good luck giving them scratch, corn and layer food. They graze everywhere on the property. I love these big yard bird. The amish farmers think I am crazy, because I have a kiddie pool for them and worry about their nutrition. These birds are pets, they are never going to be eaten. They are my watch geese. Gabby hisses at the dogs, and at me at times, but she is all hiss and no bite. She does protect my baby chicks
They are majestic birds. I love watching George as he comes out of the pond flapping his wings. They are easily herded, and know what is expected of them if i have to go down the road to gather them.
The farmer I bought the geese from said they would do good on what ever I fed my chickens so far he was right.

Both were adult geese when I bought them. They eat a lot of scratch, they don't like layer food that much, they do eat it, and they eat higbprotien baby chick feed at times.

Last edited:
Hi
Our 1 year old toulouse goose seemed fine all winter in our cold northern clime. As spring sprang he has become very quiet, doesn't answer to his name or spread his wings when we feed. He is mobile but with less active demeanor. We feed corn and protein in winter but now will cut the corn after reading these entries. He is with two pekins who seem normal but is not leading them around like he used to. He is on a large pond with fresh grass around. It might be too long since the lawnmower broke. Should we be giving him grit or anything else to eat? Any ideas as to why his behavior for the last month or two is so different? thanks for any advice you can give
Hi. I didn´t see this post before. You seemed to be doing everything fine. How is he now?

Back
Top Bottom