What do I get when I cross a Rhode Island Red rooster with these breeds?

If you cross your RIR rooster with your Silver Laced Wyandotte, your will get Red Sex Links which can be sexed by color from hatching. Male chicks will be whitish and female chicks will be reddish. You can also get Red Sex Links by crossing your RIR rooster with your White Rock hen if your White Rock hen has the silver gene factor (some do and some don't). I've raised Red Sex Links for years and they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You can see the differences between the RSL chicks and adults in the two photos below.
goldstar2.jpg

Whitish male Red Sex Link chick on the left; reddish female RSL chick on the right.

red%20sex-link.jpg

Googled from http://www.freyshatchery.com/images/red sex-link.jpg

X2

. I'm wondering how a RIR rooster and a black hen get WHITE...from ANYWHERE! :D

Here is our black hen--if anyone has any idea what breed she is. She is the friendliest hen we have, she is calm and lays HUGE brown eggs!
Also, BCM babies are black with white on them in places. So that explains the black and white one as well.

Interesting. Does the white, then, go away? The black hen pictured had zero white on her when we brought her home.
Did you get the hen when she was an adult? And the reason I said I thought she was a black sexlink hen is because she looks exactly like my black sexlink hens. But I don't have any black copper marans, just a cuckoo maran...

She looks like a black sex link from what I can see. Pretty bird, I love the green/purple sheen of BSLs. :old
We have a RIR rooster, a RIR hen, some Buff hens, some white hens and a black hen of unknown breed. We just hatched 8 eggs, and got 2 whitish/yellow chicks with small black spots, some redish/buff chicks, and 2 black chicks with white on their chest and wing tips. I'm wondering how a RIR rooster and a black hen get WHITE...from ANYWHERE! :D

Here is our black hen--if anyone has any idea what breed she is. She is the friendliest hen we have, she is calm and lays HUGE brown eggs!

We have a RIR rooster, a RIR hen, some Buff hens, some white hens and a black hen of unknown breed. We just hatched 8 eggs, and got 2 whitish/yellow chicks with small black spots, some redish/buff chicks, and 2 black chicks with white on their chest and wing tips. I'm wondering how a RIR rooster and a black hen get WHITE...from ANYWHERE! :D

Back
Top Bottom