What do I have here?

bwingles

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2023
Hello! I'm very new to chicken keeping. Went to a local auction for the first time and came home with a chicken. The auctioneer said we were bidding on a young silkie. Once I picked up my new chicken I realized that it doesn't look like my other silkies I currently have. Can anyone help to identify what I have? Breed? Rooster or hen?

Attachments

• PXL_20230115_213200506.jpg
    PXL_20230115_213200506.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Snapchat-386723158.jpg
    Snapchat-386723158.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230115_071802_02.jpg
    IMG_20230115_071802_02.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230115_071802_01.jpg
    IMG_20230115_071802_01.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 4
The auctioneer said we were bidding on a young silkie.
The hard feathering is the only thing that really points to not purebred Silkie. I don't see any other significant indicators of what the other breed could possibly be.. everything except the "silkie" gene is present and mostly dominant or partly dominant..

Bred back to your silkie hens.. will (should) still give you 50% silkie offspring and 50% will be hard feathered. (presuming he is hard feathered from being a first generation Silkie cross).

Some folks call these shady crosses "satin" instead of Silkie.

I'm gonna highly recommend NOT using the auction anymore.. A) it's not what you thought or was advertised to be.. and B) more importantly.. it's a great place to pick up disease that hasn't yet presented.. so many things have a long latency.. Marek's for example can take anywhere from 3-25 weeks before presenting ANY symptoms.. and birds that somehow have natural resistance (or were vaccinated) may be carriers but never show a single symptom.. still spreading the hidden disease like typhoid Mary.

Your flock is cute! :love

The hard feathering is the only thing that really points to not purebred Silkie. I don't see any other significant indicators of what the other breed could possibly be.. everything except the "silkie" gene is present and mostly dominant or partly dominant..

Bred back to your silkie hens.. will (should) still give you 50% silkie offspring and 50% will be hard feathered. (presuming he is hard feathered from being a first generation Silkie cross).

Some folks call these shady crosses "satin" instead of Silkie.

I'm gonna highly recommend NOT using the auction anymore.. A) it's not what you thought or was advertised to be.. and B) more importantly.. it's a great place to pick up disease that hasn't yet presented.. so many things have a long latency.. Marek's for example can take anywhere from 3-25 weeks before presenting ANY symptoms.. and birds that somehow have natural resistance (or were vaccinated) may be carriers but never show a single symptom.. still spreading the hidden disease like typhoid Mary.

Your flock is cute! :love
Thank you so much for the advice! I definitely do not think the auction is for me, I am way to stressed over the unknown 😂. Luckily we quarantined and my sister who works for a vet was able to give us treatments for parasites.

Back
Top Bottom