what do i need to have ready to get goats? ( pygmy)

mymoneypit

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
I've been thinking of getting goats all summer, figured I'd wait till spring, so I have time to learn more and build a house and enclosure. And then hubby just told me his coworker was complaining, if his 2 goats get out one more time.... so hubby said if you're serious I'll take them.

I have the space, I have fencing, I have lumber. But I've only been researching for ashort while. Should their house close up like a coop? We do have coyotes locally, but all the goat houses I see on Google just have open fronts. And from what I read if I build them a playground of sorts to climb on they may be less intent on escaping? Is this true? And do they get bored so I'd have to rearrange their toys periodically?

If I end up building a goat house, right now, it will only be to get them through winter, as I plan on getting a bigger building in spring to serve as a small barn.

I've been thinking of getting goats all summer, figured I'd wait till spring, so I have time to learn more and build a house and enclosure. And then hubby just told me his coworker was complaining, if his 2 goats get out one more time.... so hubby said if you're serious I'll take them.

I have the space, I have fencing, I have lumber. But I've only been researching for ashort while. Should their house close up like a coop? We do have coyotes locally, but all the goat houses I see on Google just have open fronts. And from what I read if I build them a playground of sorts to climb on they may be less intent on escaping? Is this true? And do they get bored so I'd have to rearrange their toys periodically?

If I end up building a goat house, right now, it will only be to get them through winter, as I plan on getting a bigger building in spring to serve as a small barn.

My goats all get closed into stalls at night. I have coyotes and wolves (pictures taken a mile from the house) in the area, plus bear. So night time protection is a must.

Build a good fence before you build a good playground. Toys are easy to find. I do rearrange the spools, barrels, boxes (wooden ones) and playhouses my goats use. But if I take a while to do so, they don't seem too bored. They play with each other, too.

Ok more lol What's the best thing to feed them in? My ducks eat out of plastic dog bowls, are those good? Would goats chew them up? Should I get metal or is there some better idea? I spent some time looking online and all I gather is one per goat should be used, but idk how big they should be.

You need some sort of a hay rack. When I was showing I found an inexpensive serviceable one made for sheep that attached to the wall. If the goats get the hay down thye will tromp on it a soil it and then the won't eat it. You should be able to find a hay rack at the local livestock supply or go to caprinesupply.com or nasco. I don't know what the web site address for Nasco is, but you should be able to find it. Nasco has a number of catalogs. You need to find the livestock supply one.

Back
Top Bottom