what do I put on the coop floor?

The reason pine shavings aren't a desireable compost is for two reasons:

It takes a long time for it to decompose, and it doesn't really add anything in nutrive value to the soil when it finally does.

Pine shavings contain the chemical components that create pine tar and pine oil -- these can actually poison the soil in too large amounts over a long period of time, like putting an application of PineSol on the ground not exactly plant friendly; these chemicals also take a long time to break down.

I don't know if the amounts used to bed a chicken house would create such a problem (as say the amounts produced from bedding horses), but too much would not be good for a garden's overall soil health (and it's one of the reasons why a lot of farmers won't take used shavings for their fields).

I asked him about it right after I posted, and that's the reply I got.

Quote:
Thanks. That's something I'm going to have to research. We chose pine shavings over cedar for those similar reasons, but the people at the farm supply stores said that pine decomposed just fine and wasn't harmful to the soil. THANKS!

Cedar is toxic to birds so you should never use those. I can fully understand the shavings issue in the garden, although I do add it to mine in small quantities (but my garden is huge and I till it several times). I only totally empty my coop a couple times a year (just keep adding to it) but the cleanings from the quail cages go in the garden. There's alot of poop and very little shavings so I'm hoping that the poop will compensate. Poop will also burn plants so adding it now is fine. Otherwise I add it to the compost pile. Please tell hubby thanks for the great info and keep it coming!

Quote:
HA! That was my same hope!
wink.png

Last edited:
Coop floor.

Linoleum.

Pine shavings w/ DE sprinkled over the top of them all.

We sweep and mop our coop once a week... Have an 8X12 coop with 24 hens.

Compost and garden. Believe it or not, in AZ pine shaving are good in the garden... they retain moisture and mixed well allow quick root growth and in AZ that's a plus.

DE = Diatomaceous Earth

Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is safe and nontoxic and destroys parasites and bugs by physically injuring them.

The shell particles of the DE are sharp enough to cut the parasites but are not harmful to humans and animals. DE is a natural and safe way to kill parasites without chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom