What do you do when a dog bites a child?

Quote:
Oh my gosh! You are not a failure! These dogs have a history that you can only guess at. If they were abused they are fearful and always remember it. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's just something that has to be done because it is the right thing to do. You did not create the mess and having time to put training a dog when you have small children can be next to impossible. There will be a time again when having a dog will work for you and your family. It might just be when your kids are older and you have some time to devote to them. Hang in there. You certainly tried to give them a home, it just isn't working out with your current family situation.
hugs.gif

Thank you guys. My husband says the same thing, but I just feel so down in the dumps about it. Especially when I hear people with trustworthy dogs talk about how much training went into it. Also, I love these dogs so much and to give them up...I don't know if I'll ever feel right bringing another dog into my home knowing I let my babies go. Maybe I'm just talking out of grief [email protected]

It is hard, but you're not a failure by any means. You gave a good try of it, and well, some things can't get overcome.

I adopted a mix dog years ago, no idea what she was, but she was great with me - for a while. She started getting weird over a month or two, and tried to attack my adult older brother. She regressed to just tearing the house up when I was gone, then going in the potty in the house and just being absolutely insane when I was home. I took her back to the shelter, feeling like the most horrible, worthless person on the face of the earth. Short of quitting my job and being with her 24/7, there was no helping her. Still, I was just utterly, completely distraught. I bawled for days.

I've had dogs since her, but I still feel guilt about her. You're not alone, a lot of us have failed a dog, but luckily, there are more dogs, and of those dogs, there are dogs that fit perfectly with us and with our lives. Take your time. I know you feel guilty and horrible - I still remember how I felt when I had to give up on a dog. Down the road, just keep your eyes open and watchful for a dog that meshes with your family - they are out there. I'm a person who can't be dogless - luckily DH had the Haley dog when we met up, and though she was an outside dog, she's mine now, and she's even got the sheepskin rug on my side of the bed to prove it. I couldn't be without her.

Quote:
Nope would never buy from a pet store. Those are uaually puppy mills with little thought about the dogs that are bred. I would stick with good breeders with a solid reputation for their dogs. The 25% purebred dogs in the shelter may be a gamble with your children at risk because you don't know if they have been abused. A shelter dog can be a wonderful pet, but like any animal you have to be careful with your kids. it's a difficult issue.

True. But there are purebred puppies in shelters as well.

Quote:
Nope would never buy from a pet store. Those are uaually puppy mills with little thought about the dogs that are bred. I would stick with good breeders with a solid reputation for their dogs. The 25% purebred dogs in the shelter may be a gamble with your children at risk because you don't know if they have been abused. A shelter dog can be a wonderful pet, but like any animal you have to be careful with your kids. it's a difficult issue.

True. But there are purebred puppies in shelters as well.

I have a gorgeous GSD that proves this to be very true.

Back
Top Bottom