• Give away

Votes: 213 64.4%
  • Throw away

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 88 26.6%

• Total voters
Pics
I throw them into the food processor shell and all and pour them into a pan for the ladies. The rooster also will joins in for a tasty treat. My chickens go crazy over them. The reason for grinding them up is so the chickens never associate the egg and shell with what they love inside. If they figure that out you will have chickens eating their eggs which can be a disaster. Not only does it make a mess on the other eggs in the nest, but the smell of rotten eggs is horrible.

I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999
I'm getting up to 10 eggs a day and am quickly running out of options for what to do with them. Short of chucking them, that is.

My friends are all stocked up, we are sick of eating eggs and now we have a backlog in the 20's. So, what are some things you guys do to use up those extra eggs? Today's basket (from yesterday and today)
View attachment 1750999

We are getting 20-24 a day, and that adds up. We do sell a few dozen per week to a local Farm to Table restaurant here, but they only need 4-5 dozen every two weeks so that leaves a lot (about 23 dozen or so) . Even though we bake and eat a lot of eggs, the left over dozens are donated to one of the local food banks we have on the Island. They are happy to get them and they don't go to waste. There has been a huge need even a year after the eruptions. The lava flow has disrupted thousands of homeowners and tenants and the need is still great. I'm sure that you can find a worthy food bank near you that would be happy to take small donations such as the BYC growers.

We eat them, some are selected for hatching, some go to family and friends, a dozen plus are fed to the chickens as I pick them and the dogs each get an egg at the same time, some cartons of eggs are given as gifts and any washed eggs that get old...get dried out for painting whenever I eventually get to that. (Not pysanky, I'm not that talented) :) In late summer I begin freezing bags of eggs in the shell so I have a consistent supply to toss into the chickens over the winter.

Last edited:
We have been getting between 10-14 eggs a day. My husband sells our extra eggs to coworkers. We also give them away to family and friends. I don’t plan on selling them to anyone we don’t know well so I am not really worried about anyone suing us.

We use quite a few of the eggs ourselves. My husband eats eggs almost every day either scrambled or hard boiled. We also have made pickled eggs from the multitude of Bantam eggs. I may do some baking when I have more time this summer.

It's not painting, exactly. It's a wax resist technique, like batik. You use a tool most typically called a kistka to write with melted wax all over what you want to stay white, then it goes into a light colored dye bath - say yellow - then after drying you write on anything you want to stay yellow, then the next bath, etc, all the way up to the darkest - red, or black, most often. Then after that dries, you melt the wax - can do it in an oven, or often you hold part of it in the side of a candle flame until the wax melts, then rub the wax off with a cloth or paper towel, until the whole egg is exposed.
http://www.pysanky.info
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting website.

It used to be people did not even think like this. I am stuck back there, where neighbors appreciated and relied on each other. I would add, ok to sell but buy from a reliable source. I wash all of mine with egg wash and take great care of my eggs and have clean nests if you live near the Suwannee River... I will give you some. Lol
That's because we live in a society where people have learned to make money off the fortunes of others. We have a nice bass pond here with crappie, bass and catfish.(Also some nice bluegill). I let nobody on it because A.They take the fish. B. They leave their trash and C. They'd sue if they hurt themselves. It's sad but there's plenty of ticks, leeches and vultures in nature just as with humans.. Hell kids these days sign the dotted line and expect rich people to pay off college debt simply because they are rich and oh well it aint me mentality.

Sorry for going off the beaten track with this post but we'll be having 12-20 eggs daily here this summer and I was hoping I could give them away to local churches/soup kitchens but now I'm worried I'll get sued/everything taken from me if I do.. Reality sets in quick on good intentions.

Back
Top Bottom