What do you do with chickens you've culled?

Knock Kneed Hen

California Dream'in Chickens
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
So. Cal.
Okay folks, I'm just wondering at what age to you cull, for what reasons and what do you do with the carcass?

I don't want this thread to end up in a debate. Also, please don't go for the shock factor. I'm trying to understand.
I've given a mean rooster over to friends knowing that they would be having him for dinner that night so I guess
I've culled. Just don't tell the other chickens as I have a "No Culling" sign hanging in my run....don't want them thinking
they're next.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

The adult culls we process and eat, because they are good food that we raised and we like chicken. We do so humanely and sweetly, because even the culls are loved chickens.

I cull my extra roosters when they are around 6 months old...mainly because they are picking on the girls...they haven't gotten the fine art of mounting down yet and are pulling too many feathers out of the girls head...they go to freezer camp. I've found that roosters (IMO) are much easier to clean up (gut) than the hens are...

Mean roos only. We eat them, or give them to our neighbour, who eats them.
Crop impacted or some other sickness goes too. I am not spending time and money ministering to a sick chicken. (Sorry to those softies.) If it is a sick chicken I just wrap her up in plastic and garbage her.

"Raised with love, culled with loving hands."

I have only culled sick chickens. We had a respiratory illness here awhile back. I wrapped them in plastic bags and put them in the trash can.

Healthy culls go into the soup pot, unhealthy culls or dropped-dead get buried well back from the house, ideally with rocks on top to prevent them being dug up and dragged around.

I have a neighbor that took some of my unwanted roosters earlier this year. It is time to cull out some of my roosters again. I have a tendency to hatch out more roos then hens. Unfortuneately I also have several silkie roos that need culling as well and I'm hesitant to cull them just because they are roos
sad.png

We have not eaten any birds we have found dead or had to cull due to illness. We either bury them or wrap them and dispose of in the garbage.

My husband said he can cull them so we can eat them but I am having a hard time with that yet. So our neighbor is good to us so I will not doubt give them to him again. He does it as humanely (If you can call killing humane
hit.gif
)and quick as possible.

Healthy: They get a first class ticket to Camp Kenmore

Unhealthy: They get a cargo seat to Camp Trash heap

With either healthy or unhealthy,I think Im going to harvest feathers,feet,hearts,livers for fishing and ornamental purposes. At least then the unhealthy will be of some purpose,not just maggot bringer on hot days in the garbage can.
hmm.png

Wow what a hard core clinical thread!! I guess there are things that need to get done and you either do or you do not.

I am new to chickens I do not find this thread offensive as much as brutally honest wow.

Back
Top Bottom