What do you do with the livers, gizzards, necks, feet and beaks?

Pineywoods Peepers

Certified Poultry Accruer
11 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Pineywoods of East Texas
I'm currently raising my first batch of meat birds. Some friends of mine and my husband and I are splitting 50 birds. I don't care for organ meat, so if I kept those parts I'm not sure what I'd do with them. I don't intend to eat them. I guess I could save them for my Pop, but other than that it seems like it would be a wasted effort to save them.

I've also seen articles that say to save the feet and beaks. Why? What do you do with those?

Do you have a dog? Great, healthy food for a dog. I have never tried feeding my dog the feet, but when we have meat birds this summer we'll give it a go.

(needless to say our dog is on a prey-model raw food diet; but it sure wouldn't hurt a kibble-fed dog to have some fresh organ meat!)

Neck, feet into chicken stock or soup--livers and gizzards in the stuffing. That's what Mom used to do. I let them ferment and use them for fox bait.

I feed my dogs raw - so I give them the "rubbish" from all of our animals harvests. I happen to love chicken livers myself, but not so much the gizzards.....btw - dogs LOVE the feet! lol
lol.png

I use necks, backs, wing tips, and feet for stock. I have a friend who likes chicken liver so she gets those. If no one else wants them, gizzards and hearts can go into stock as well as making other dishes with them. I usually use them for making gravy when we roast a whole bird.

Back
Top Bottom