What do you do with your eggs when you collect them?

What do you do with your eggs after collecting them?

• Total voters
I put them in a basket on the kitchen counter until I collect a dozen, then I put them in the refrigerator in cartons. I don't wash them until I get ready to cook them. They showed the results of a big experiment on the "Mother Earth News" magazine and they found that unwashed, refrigerated eggs were still good to eat after more than 6 months. My hens just started laying in early September and I'm starting to get a surplus now. I'm waiting to see how much they drop off with the daylight getting shorter. I turn on a LED lantern at 5:30 am to extend their day. Waiting to see what this first winter brings as far as egg production. Does anyone else save their eggs for later use? Old "home grown" eggs are still immensely fresher than what you get in the supermarket.

Mine typically go straight into the fridge, and then I wash them dozen by dozen as I either sell or need a dozen in the house. They go straight into the fridge because I happen to have a mini-fridge in the barn (it's my beer fridge, really :lau). Do I think they *have* to go in the fridge? Nope. But I really like them to when it's warm out, and going straight in the fridge keeps them fresher, in my opinion.

Currently, they happen to be sitting on the counter in the house for a day or two until I then wash and put in the fridge. Because my barn fridge has been freezing them enough to pop them, don't know what it's problem is. So, since they're already in the house, I do wash them so they're ready to "walk" out the door with me when I deliver.

If I had some need to keep eggs as fresh as possible for as long as possible I would put them in the fridge without washing, but I don't. They all move within a few days. Any ones that are super dirty get washed the same day and put in the condiment tub on the door of the house fridge and are eaten first, just to be safe.

I wash duck and chicken eggs with a luffa under warm tap-water and stick them in the fridge. We sell eggs to our business clients ($8 a doz.), and if someone requests non-refrigerated eggs to take hiking or camping, then I'll stick unwashed eggs in a carton.

I just refrigerate them after collecting and when ready to use i just rinse them if theyre dirty. Water is always cold because i have no hot water system and too lazy to heat up some water just to rinse the dirt off.

Lately ive just.been leaving them on the counter because im only getting one or a two a day.

All my eggs stay out unwashed. Don't have to many dirty ones, maybe if it's rained a bunch some will get muddy, those I save til I have enough to make scrambled eggs for the birds. View attachment 1575483
Same here!
IMG_20181030_181811472.jpg

I put as many as I can in the incubators.
Dirty eggs go to dogs or pigs.
Others usually go in fridge. Sometimes I leave them on the counter.
I don't save any that need washing so I don't wash.

Only rarely do I get an egg with any droppings or mud on it. My run, coop, and nest boxes are all filled with sand. Even wet, muddy (from the yard) feet are clean and dry by the time the girls settle into the nest box. The one or two a week that do have something on them get scrubbed with a dry paper towel and then refrigerated.

Back
Top Bottom