What Do you feed your ducks?

Kay, I get it. So i take it most people dont have Duck feed at their feed stores? Odd.........

http://www.poultryconnection.com/quackers/chow.html

Heres a link. and another:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=217802

From a while back. aparrently its not avalible in alot of places
sad.png

thats okay I understand thanxs

The first link explains it pretty well....

I can't get duck food. One place near me had waterfowl feed with 8% protein. What a joke! Since I have quail, the easiest thing to do is to just feed everyone 28% protein game bird feed. The quail get some finch seed as well and the ducks get supplemental greens and all the bugs they can eat
big_smile.png

Quote:
They only sell it in certain states. Bummer. They only sell in indiana, ohio,michigan,wisconson ect the states with the highest commercial duck farm population, i guess.
sad.png
but not sure. ill have to look in to it......

Last edited:
My ducks are with the chickens and as such they get chicken feed. When they are in the brooder stage I give them niacin in their water. There is one feed store that has the duck feed but otherwise I have to make do with chicken feed or game feed. I also make sure it is unmedicated as the feed stores around me did have the medication that is not good for ducks.

Ok, well my ducks were just born the week before Easter. Making them about 5 weeks old now...what should I be feeding them? I have game bird non medicated and it's about to run out. What is the next thing I will get or will I continue with the same thing. I live near a Southern States and they don't carry Purina...

Zilla I think Murdochs sales this feed. They pretty much have every brand from what I saw. So do you feed the little guys(ducklings) this too or just the over 18 week crowd?

When I used to just have 3 or 4 mallards at a time, I would buy Manna Pro conditioner, mix it with oatmeal and a couple of other things, and feed greens and such to make it right. They thrived very well that way, and it was a formula given to me by someone who raised waterfowl for over 50 years. Now I have a lot of them, it's chicken feed and peas. Would be too expensive and not efficient with so many to do what I was doing. I buy it at southern states, it's the pelleted chicken feed for layers and broilers. The protein is 16%. That will work for ducks, you don't want too much protein, but if you find it's too high, mix oatmeal with it. I would get it in big containers at the grocery or bulk store.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom