What do YOU feed your geese and ducks?

CrazyChicklet

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 27, 2008
Hi everyone:

We have two ganders (whom I need to find mates for) and four Pekin ducks and I was wondering what you all use for feed for them? We've pretty much let them free range and supplemented with a feed from TSC, but as winter is closing in I was wondering if you could let me know what you are using?

Thanks!

Erin

I feed my geese and ducks flock raiser, but does anyone know if it's ok to give them horse feed? Sometimes we can't get to tractor supply in the winter and the closest feed store sells horse feed. Is that ok for them?
Do you have the ingredients? I read of someone on here saying they feed their Ducks/geese some sweet feed, but I'm not sure how healthy it would be. maybe in a pinch but not for long. since it's not formulated for poultry

Welcome to the BYC !!!! We feed our ducks starter feed when they are little and now we feed them layer pellets. And they free range also. Good Luck !!!

We feed our ducklings non-medicated chick starter. They are bit older now, so we cut the feed with oats to lower the protein level. We'll probably feed them starter until they begin laying, and then we'll put them on layer feed.

I can't find duck feed in my area, so I have to make do with chicken feed. They also forage quite a bit.

Does anyone have any experience with Purina Duck Grower? I went to the local feed store and bought a bag today, plus some wheats and oats. I contemplated the Mazuri waterfowl feed, but didn't purchase it as they seem to like to eat it dry and then wash it down with their water. I've tried feeding them on the water, but they don't much go for it, but if I bring out some feed in the dogdish, they're all over it. I knew I had another question but dagged if I can remember it!!!
hmm.png
Thanks everyone!

Mine don't eat on the water. They like it in a bowl and will drink water if they need to wash it down.

My geese and ducks ADORE the Nutrena Waterfowl pellets, but when I cannot find that, I use a locally milled waterfowl pellet. I have also used the Purina Duck pellet that comes in the brown bag with the red checkerboard, but they don't seem to like it as much. I supplement all of the feeds with dried kelp that I order from Brice Wonders. In addition, since I have no grass, I made a deal with a local produce wholesaler to purchase romaine lettuce, spinach, kale, and other greens by the box to feed them on a daily basis. They will also get whole and cracked corn between fall and spring.

I haven't added the oats and whole wheat yet. The babies LOVE the Mazuri waterfowl crumbles, but they have done well on the Purina Fresh Start and Flock Raiser, too.

Well, guess I have to go out and feed them all now....speaking of food.

Back
Top Bottom