What do you feed your meat birds????

From 1 to 21 days you can feed them 2oz per bird Protein 20%, Fat 6.5% and Fiber 4.0%.
For 21 to finish the protein should be 19% and everything else the same. This is if you have Conish rocks and also based on what you are feed ur feeding them. These feeds i'v'e found varied.....
For dual-purpose birds i suppose you can use the same formula

Hope that gives you some sort of idea to start of with.

Thank you everyone!!!! I really appreciate it!!
wink.png

The first 2 weeks they get Purina Start and Grow. All they can eat around the clock.

The next 6 - 8 weeks they get a grower ration. No food at night. Only water.

The last 2 weeks I begin mixing cracked corn into their feed for a week.

The final week they are finishing out on corn only.

I am not feeding them to keep them healthy and growing forever.

I feed them to better serve my purpose which is to fill my table.

2 weeks, with how much they eat, it is enough time to put on a layer fat. A nice thick pad of fat at the cavity opening is what I like to see.

I do not waste the fat. I harvest the fat and render the oils from the tissue and use it for savory pie crusts, dumplings, etc.

I also harvest the internal organs - heart (for my dog feeds), gizzard (because I like them), liver (because fried chcken livers are awesome!).

Waste not want not.

Personally I read to make sure I used no animal protein- broiler feed has feathers and ground up birds etc. Yuck.
I began our birds on medicated starter, changed to unmedicated crumbles, then to layer feed (it was cheap $5 for the 50 lb bag) then I went to a fat and finish- mind you we only had 6 birds.
They did not stay up at night, placed them in a shady area in the yard for coolness, the only time they had a heat lamp was for the first week, after that it was warm enough to let them go without the light.
At 8 weeks they were still able to get up and move, even tho they sat each time they moved! All weight approx 6 ish pounds each.
Good luck to you! This year I am planning on building a wire ground level pen to move each day, that way the can enjoy grass.
Good luck with your choices!

This thread interests me as well because I'm getting my meat birds in a few weeks.

Couple of issues I have which I'd like to see addressed by someone who feels the same:

1 - I don't want medicated feed in my birds at all. If I wanted medication in my animals, I'd buy them from the store. How many options do I have in non-medicated, and what are they?

2 - I have issues with the use of corn. Do you have to finish with corn?

3 - I want no rendered dead animals in my feed. Who offers good, clean, natural feed, and how easy is it to find?

Thanks!

I use the Dumore from TSC. It is non-medicated. 24% protein. I use it from day one to day "I'm gonna dispatch chickens." I buy straight run chicks so I don't do them all at one time. It makes it easier for me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom