What do you like about your coop/run? What are some things you would change

I would make mine larger, with external nesting boxes, and a removable panel on the "people" door to allow more ventilation in the warmer months (opening covered with hardware cloth, of course. Also, a true luxury, I would have an automatic chicken door.

I love my run (an old wooden swingset) because it is large and can be covered with roofing panels from top to bottom on 2 sides to keep out snow in the winter (which was awesome with all the snow we got this year - I live in the Boston area). The only thing I wish was different would be to have a taller door. I'm only 5' 1" and have to duck my head to get through it. I've bonked my head numerous times walking out of the run.

Always allow room for expansion, Coop/run.

Make it as large as possible, then double it.

If in a cold climate, do not use linoleum.

Whaaaa?! LOL I live in a cold climate and I will be putting a vinyl floor down and then using the deep litter method. Why do you say not to use linoleum/vinyl?

Whaaaa?! LOL I live in a cold climate and I will be putting a vinyl floor down and then using the deep litter method. Why do you say not to use linoleum/vinyl?

Vinyl and linoleum are made to be used in a climate controlled house, not a chicken coop. Either of the two will get brittle, and crack and deteriorate, after being exposed to the temp extremes of a coop. Then waste, bedding, bugs and whatever else will get under it, and work on the wood floor. Sure it can be replaced, but what a mess. Pour a coupla gallons of Blackjack on the floor, and fagetabottit.

Im always thinkink about, how to clean it better faster etc..
It would be interesting if could design like a 'drawer' under roosts. Pull it out, shake out the dirt, and get it back, so no ammonia etc in coop.

It's just the best wood floor protector, for a coop that you can get. (IMO).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_70989-29-6080-9-30_1z0uk7k__
We used blackjack in a shed we were converting 3 years ago at the recommendation of JackE. It has worked great. We had 4 goats in one half and about 19 chickens in the other side. We also installed stall mats in the goat's side because we knew we would eventually build a new coop and after the goats died, we would reclaim the shed so we did not want the floor ruined with goat pee.

We are in the process now of building a new coop and the two goats left are 14 years old. The blackjack and been great. The only place it has come up was a spot in the chicken coop where water spilled into the sand. I was never able to get all the wet sand out and so a small area did peel off. In my opinion this is just one more reason NOT to put sand in your coop. Anyway, use the blackjack, you won't regret it. Had it not been for that water spill, it would still be in perfect condition 3 years later. I will be putting it on the floor of my new coop for sure! Thanks again JackE.

It's just the best wood floor protector, for a coop that you can get. (IMO).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_70989-29-6080-9-30_1z0uk7k__
We used blackjack in a shed we were converting 3 years ago at the recommendation of JackE. It has worked great. We had 4 goats in one half and about 19 chickens in the other side. We also installed stall mats in the goat's side because we knew we would eventually build a new coop and after the goats died, we would reclaim the shed so we did not want the floor ruined with goat pee.

We are in the process now of building a new coop and the two goats left are 14 years old. The blackjack and been great. The only place it has come up was a spot in the chicken coop where water spilled into the sand. I was never able to get all the wet sand out and so a small area did peel off. In my opinion this is just one more reason NOT to put sand in your coop. Anyway, use the blackjack, you won't regret it. Had it not been for that water spill, it would still be in perfect condition 3 years later. I will be putting it on the floor of my new coop for sure! Thanks again JackE

Back
Top Bottom