What do you prefer?

barredbeans7

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 28, 2012
I am trying to figure out which brand of feed is the best or in your opinion your favorite. So, all i need you to do is list your favorite feed as #1 and the worst feed you have expirianced as #2. Also, list reasons why or why not you like that feed. Remember your favorite feed is listed as # 1 and your least favorite feed is listed as #2. I am excited to see what you "chicken lovers" say! Please participate!
yippiechickie.gif

I probably like Key or Nutrena layer pellets the best. Not as fond of Country Lane (sometimes the crumbles or even the pellets yield a 1/3 to 1/2 bag of "dust"). Not sure if it is the brand of feed or how it is handled in transport and in the store.

Last edited:
I use purina. I used to use something that was 5 more dollars a bag from someplace far away. We realized it was the same thing as store bought, just in a different bag and more expensive!!

I'm saying purina, but theres the startena, layena, I think maybe nutrena?, and growena.so a bunch of different names but I like the brand. My gals lay a lot, and stay healthy.

I currently use feed by my local feed mill. I like it because it's about 2/3 the price of "brand" names. I pay $12.75 for 50lbs of starter. I don't like it because they only make medicated/unmedicated starter crumbles or 16%/22% layer pellets. I have ducks too so feeding crumbles wastes alot. My other option would be TSC and there I would be able to get Flock Raiser or their brand, Dumor grower crumbs. Those are $19 and $18 respectively.

Before moving, I used to feed Nutrena All Flock. I could feed it to ducks and chickens and it was a small pellet so much less waste.

I once asked a man who was an active breeder and shower of top chickens what he fed, and he said that commerical feed was darn good feed and what his girls got, which kind of surprised me as I thought he would mix up something fancy.

Another point, slightly off task, last year, I put a flock block in my run, and I thought my chickens looked better. This is the hard part of winter for us, the days are still short, they are roosting longer than they are out and about. So today, I bought another flock block as a supplement to my feeding of rations, and scratch

Thankyou for your suggestions! In my opinion I love the Nutrina country side feed. It has small pellets ( not crumbles ) that my girls can break down easier And it isn't wasteful like crumbles. It also has scratch and oyster shell that my girls view as a treat. Although it cost 20 dollars for a 50 pound bag. That's a little pricy for me so I switched to the off brand that I have to mix together. What a pain! But my girls love it!

I couldn't go to the feed store one day so I went to a farm equip. store and bought a brand of feed that was mostly dust I was really disappointed so I think I might try some of the feeds you have suggested. Thankyou all for your help!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom