What do you store your feed in? Where? Post a pic!

olddairyfarm

In the Brooder
12 Years
Nov 12, 2007
Dixie
It has taken us about a year to develop a feed storage that works well for us. Our little kids wouldn't screw the tops on the barrel storage containers, and using a scoop usually resulted in spilled feed. Here is our current method:

IMG_4483.jpg

We have a hitch platform for carrying bicycles & ice chests for tailgating, which we put on the back of our Chuckwagon. All of our animal feeds are in rubbermaids. I use a plastic pitcher that is just the right size for the amount of feed I give each day. The other animal feeds have cups that are just the right size too. It really helps prevent the kids from overfeeding our animals.

The wagon is parked near the house, and the barncats like to sleep on it at night. The dog sleeps within a few feet of it, thus no pests have a chance at getting into the feed. It has been great! No mice or raccoons near our feed or chewing through our containers! When it's time to refill the containers, we don't have to bring sacks to every spot on the farm. We were driving the 4-wheeler around every morning and evening to feed, so now we just drive the wagon instead. We have virtually eliminated our pest problem. We haven't seen a mouse, ratsnake, or raccoon since.

What method works best for you???

Last edited:
I don't have a picture, since I never thought of taking one and it's too hot out right now and I'm lazy LOL!! I have a large plastic trash can inside my coop in the corner, and I have two sacks in it: feed and scratch. When it's time to get them on layer and oyster shell I'll have three out there. 50lb bags fit nicely, I'll have more than enough room for all three bags (scratch, feed, and oyster shell) and there's a plastic, snap on lid to cover it with. Everything stays dry and stores nicely. Not only that, but because my chickens are little freaks and don't like their roost the trash can lid serves as another little roosting spot for them, as if 40 linear feet and the tops of their feeder and waterer aren't enough!!! When it's time to refill I scoop or pour; the feeder is less than 2 ft away from the trash can. Works for me!!! (BTW, all I mainly have are chickens, I have 2 ducks but I only have to give them a gallon milk jug of feed about once a week.)

grain for all my critters is stored in metal garbage cans with tight-fitting lids. keeps rodents and moisture and bugs out, as well as the critters when they get to wandering. they're kept in a three-sided shed with a wooden floor, along with our hay.

i have some incredibly awesome scoops that my friend brought me from finland. they use them in the sauna for scooping water, but they hold between 1 and 2 pounds depending on the type of grain, which is perfect for most of my feeding programs. ah, here's a photo. it's the one in the front that looks like a scoop. they're incredibly rugged plastic, will stand up to most anything. i don't know what i'd do without my sauna scoopers!

We use the Rubbermaid tubs also. It's a lot easier for my mother who has a bad back to get to the bottom on the rubbermaid tub to get feed then is was for her in the metal trashcans if we aren't around to help her. I know critters can eat through the plastic a lot faster but we keep spills cleaned up and also have 3 resident mouser cats.

Quote:
Yes, you are absolutely right about it being hard to get to the bottom of the metal trash can!! My back hurts, too and sometimes it is really a stretch~~I may try some of those rubber tubs myself.

CJeanean- That makes a lot of sense...keeping the feed can inside the coop by the feeder, especially if you lock your coop up at night or keep it closed all day. My chickens run outside all day and only go to the coop at night to sleep (year-round...we're in the south!) Because of this, I don't need a feeder in the coop. I just pour feed over the fence (in a line, so they don't fight) into their run area.

My chickens are all laying, and they don't go through a lot of oyster shell. I keep some in a small bowl in the coop and the bag is put away. I've had the same cup in there for several months. You probably won't need it that often (unless birds in colder climates need more calcium for some reason?)

Last edited:
Yep, metal is great for keeping animals out, if the lid is on securely! I can't tell you how many times the kids thought the lid was on tight, and it wasn't, or I heard "Mom, I can't get the top off" or "Dad, I can't get the lid back on!"

With the rubbermaids, the kids can pop the tops off themselves and they know they are shut when they hear the sides click.

Back
Top Bottom