What do you think is a fun must have?

Mommachirp

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Hi everyone! I got my girls a parakeet play pen when they were babies. It's just a fun perch for them, but they really love to ring the bell that hangs on one of the ends. What do your chickens find fun?
The girls are starting to grow so Hubby got a new project now!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. My chickens have a blast with a cabbage head strung from a string, or with the pumpkin innards that have been scraped out of a Halloween Jack-O-Lantern. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome! I have "swing" out in my run for them. It's actually a thick branch wired to the sides of the run, and when we first put it up I told my husband, "Rats! (or something similar...) This roost moves and we need to tighten it when we get home." Well, we got home from our shopping trip and the silly chickens were all sitting in a row on it, loving the fact that it moves.

We have another stationary one, but they seem to like that one better. We also had a huge tree trimmed, and the logs from the diseased part of the tree were hollow inside. We cut a couple of the big logs in half lengthwise. When I toss scratch in, I make sure that a bunch of it ends up in the bark of the log inside their run, and I have another chunk just outside the run. They spend a lot of time preening on that one. Also our little chick, Scout, hatched in October, learned very quickly that he could hide from the Bigs under there if the got spooked, and they couldn't reach him. Also you can't go wrong with a dust bath in there! Yep, the natural stuff is a big hit, from dirt to swinging limbs to half logs!

Swinging chicks!

Blooie gave you some great tips, I think grown chickens would progress on to parrot toys, also like a cardboard box overturned with an opening at two ends, their secret tunnel. Bright colored balls are good for pushing. After you have finished a turkey or chicken dinner, they love to pick clean off the bones.

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Welcome!  I have "swing" out in my run for them.  It's actually a thick branch wired to the sides of the run, and when we first put it up I told my husband, "Rats! (or something similar...) This roost moves and we need to tighten it when we get home."  Well, we got home from our shopping trip and the silly chickens were all sitting in a row on it, loving the fact that it moves.  

We have another stationary one, but they seem to like that one better.  We also had a huge tree trimmed, and the logs from the diseased part of the tree were hollow inside. We cut a couple of the big logs in half lengthwise.  When I toss scratch in, I make sure that a bunch of it ends up in the bark of the log inside their run, and I have another chunk just outside the run.  They spend a lot of time preening on that one.  Also our little chick, Scout, hatched in October, learned very quickly that he.......

Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try all of your ideas! I notice they do tend to take dirt baths. The run is dirt so I love to watch them bury theirselves. I like the idea of hanging treats from a string. I bet it keeps the coop clean too!

The next time I get chicks I plan to get different breeds. Your chickens are so pretty. What kind are they?

Last edited:
Blooie gave you some great tips,   I think grown chickens would progress on to parrot toys,   also like   a cardboard box  overturned with an opening at two ends, their secret tunnel.  Bright colored balls are good for pushing.   After you have finished a turkey or chicken dinner,  they love to pick clean off the bones.

I ordered the color ball online. I tried the tunnel idea thanks! I used hay to get them to go inside. I've got one that loves to run in and out. This forum is amazing. I would have never guess my girls would like this. Awesome! Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom