What do you use to clean the roost bars/walls that get covered in chicken poop?

No way to remove it all once it hits bare wood (other than sanding). Putting feedbags up behind the roosts helps.

For new hen houses coating the walls behind the roosts with BlackJack57 is the best solution (and the floors, and the ramps etc...). Poop brushes right off that stuff once dry.

When I clean my coop I scrape out all of the poop that I can and then I usually spray the coop down with vinegar because it is not harmful to the chickens. however let it dry before you let them back in.

I clean it off but not often. I use a variety of brushes, water with vinegar, plain water, and rags.

Brushing with water with vinegar takes some paint off. It is necessary on very rough rough-sawn boards. It may wear off or brush off on smooth surfaces but, after two or three years, I gave up dinking around with time and dry whisk brushes.

The blackjack will (sort of) pill sometimes where it is the thickest - more so the warmer the weather.

I tried to design my coop to avoid this problem. The roosts are a foot or more away from he wall, and they are thick tree limbs, not boards. Limbs don't get covered in poop because they are round and the poop rolls off, so I don't have poop build up on the roosts themselves. In retrospect, I should've put the roosts even farther from the wall because even though poop on the wall is rare, it does still happen occasionally from the bigger chickens with the more powerful poop launchers. I scrape it down periodically with a plastic putty knife (not metal, to avoid scraping the paint off the walls too), and then once a year I do a full coop clean out where I wash the poopiest parts off the walls, too. First I take a wet rag and rub the dirty areas to get them wet, and leave them for a few minutes for the poop glue to soften. Then I scrub with a retired bristle brush that is now my designated chicken poop brush. Then I wipe down with the rag again. That takes almost everything off, and it's nice and clean for a couple of days :lol:

Back
Top Bottom