Free standing roost bar with poop tray

I did a search but found nothing on the style roost I'm planing on using.

I'm building a 4'×8' coop with two pop holes. I'm keeping the interior simple so it can be easily cleaned and divided internally by a movable partition wall
Thread 'Hainies Folly' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hainies-folly.1599167/

My idea for roots is to build something along the idea of traditional wooden picnic table benches turned upside down with the roost bars sitting in the X formed by the legs. What would normally be the underside of the bench sitting surface would act as a poop board.

The advantages I see are,

1) Nothing will be attached to the interior wall making installing/moving/removing interior partition wall easier.

2) Cleaning roosts and poop boards will be easier.

3) Cleaning coop floor will be easier with roosts out of the way.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this. Has anyone else tried this style roost. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this style roost.

Thanks From
Hainies Hen House!

I did a search but found nothing on the style roost I'm planing on using.

I'm building a 4'×8' coop with two pop holes. I'm keeping the interior simple so it can be easily cleaned and divided internally by a movable partition wall
Thread 'Hainies Folly' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hainies-folly.1599167/

My idea for roots is to build something along the idea of traditional wooden picnic table benches turned upside down with the roost bars sitting in the X formed by the legs. What would normally be the underside of the bench sitting surface would act as a poop board.

The advantages I see are,

1) Nothing will be attached to the interior wall making installing/moving/removing interior partition wall easier.

2) Cleaning roosts and poop boards will be easier.

3) Cleaning coop floor will be easier with roosts out of the way.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this. Has anyone else tried this style roost. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this style roost.

Thanks From
Hainies Hen House!
Interesting! I haven't seen that tried but it sounds like a good idea if you're looking for something that is portable. Please keep us updated on how it works.

I like your idea. :thumbsup

My roost/poop board is not free standing, but I could make it so with little effort or materials. It's not attached to the wall or stud; it lifts off support brackets and can be moved or removed. I can raise the brackets in the summer and lower them in the winter to either take advantage of breezes or keep the birds out of them.

Either way, it's high enough that the birds can walk under them, so I didn't lose any floor space.

I am making my roost/poop board so that it sits on heavy-duty brackets that can also go up or down, depending on the weather. The brackets are the

John Sterling BK-0103-22 Fast Mount 300-Pound Capacity 20-Inch Shelf Bracket​

and the part that screws into the studs on the wall are

Knape & Vogt John Sterling FAST-MOUNT Adjustable Wall Standard, 48-inch, Galvanized, BK-0100-4​

You can view them on Amazon. I've used these for years in my home, shop, barn, etc. They are extremely durable and hold a lot of weight....they will easily a roost, etc.

Back
Top Bottom