Hainies Folly

20230921_170508.jpg

Building a slightly under 4×8 on an old implement axle. I built the cart style under pinings out of 2×12 to clear the wheels.
I made it stout so I can pull it around with my little 2 cylinder Bolens G154 backhoe.

Planning on making a moveable partition wall inside coop so I can separate flock if need be. Going to put a pop door at either end of a long side

When coop is done I'm going to build a 16' long cattle panel run. I would like to place coop to side of run so my little backhoe can drive completely through tunnel style run.

I'll post more photos as work progresses.

View attachment 3641592

Building a slightly under 4×8 on an old implement axle. I built the cart style under pinings out of 2×12 to clear the wheels.
I made it stout so I can pull it around with my little 2 cylinder Bolens G154 backhoe.

Planning on making a moveable partition wall inside coop so I can separate flock if need be. Going to put a pop door at either end of a long side

When coop is done I'm going to build a 16' long cattle panel run. I would like to place coop to side of run so my little backhoe can drive completely through tunnel style run.

I'll post more photos as work progresses.
Neat idea! Consider making it into an article in the coop section. There's a contest going on until the end of the year. No pressure. 🥰

Neat idea! Consider making it into an article in the coop section. There's a contest going on until the end of the year. No pressure. 🥰

Thanks for the sugestion, but I'm going to have to pass on the article invite.

I'm a one finger typer and not very tech savy. You could say I'm one step from being a Ludite. It would take me way to long to write an article.

I spent some time working on the new coop.
I had plenty of supervision.

The girls to left of me. Sitting on the remains of an old coop I salvaged for lumber.
20231005_082117.jpg

To my right was the old guy. He decided to lay right where I would be working. His arthritis is worse than mine so I left him be and worked around him. If apply the 7:1 dog year rule of thumb, he is about 30years older than me.
20231005_083900.jpg

In the mid eighties I framed houses for a couple years. Back then nail guns weren't as prevalent as they are today. None of the contractors I worked for had them. I developed a bad case of tendinitis, couldn't even pick up my hammer. No more framing houses.

Back to the coop. I got the front wall framed out. I started out using my old framing hammer and nails for nostalgic purposes but switched to screws and a screw gun.
20231005_074946.jpg

It was nice being able to work at waist level using the coops under carriage as a work bench.

I got a little more done. I was kind of rushing because I had to leave for an appointment.

20231005_182216.jpg

I stood the front wall, tacked on a brace to hold it up.

The walls are framed with 2×3" studs, which are actually 2½" wide. For the window header I used double 2×6" which when doubled are actually 3" wide, ½" wider than the 2½" width of the 2×3. Since the interior will just be bare studs this extra ½" doesn't cause a problem if it is on the inside of the wall.

After my appointment I decided to cut some pieces of furring strips that will be used to secure hardware cloth to the inside of the window.

20231005_165651.jpg
Thats when I found out the inside of the wall was on the outside of the coop. You can see the header sticking out in the photo above.
This would cause a big lump in the exterior sheeting.

Since the wall was only held up by two screws in a temporary brace the fix would be an easy one. I just spun the wall around, slid it to the other side of the floor and . . . . it was still wrong, kind of like discovering you pulled up to the wrong side of a gas pump, doing a U turn to the next pump island and finding you are once again on the wrong side! I should have just slid the wall to the other side without spinning it.

I slid the wall back to where it was originally without spinning it and it was oriented correctly. I cut the pieces of furring strips and tacked them in place.

By now it was time to call it a day.

Back
Top Bottom