Perpendicular rooflines or separate buildings?

crystalsc

Songster
Jul 20, 2023
Greenville, SC
I know it’s a personal preference of how to build your run, but I would like pros and cons so that I can come to a decision. I can’t stop thinking about this. Haha
We have an 8x8 shed-style coop on a sloped area. It’s time to build the run. We want to build an 8x16 run but the run will extend perpendicular to the roof of the coop. The problem is that the windows of the coop sit mere inches from the roof of the coop, leaving little room for 2x4 header connections. So what I’m trying to determine is do we build the run connected to the coop and if so can we build a roof under the coop’s roof or can we rise the run roof above the coop roof. OR do we build a separate run all together and build a tunnel connecting it to the coop? Are there any arguments here for one over the other?
Here is the situation of our space:
IMG_2331.jpeg

IMG_2330.jpeg

IMG_2332.jpeg

As you can see here, there is very little room between the window and the roof.
Don’t know if it matters but the front of the coop faces south.

Here are a couple I’ve seen online that made me wonder about the alternatives.
IMG_2325.jpeg

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2321.jpeg

I am not sure what you should do but I do know that I would NOT use/make a tunnel if it were mine.

I'd probably build the run roof just above the shed but I'd be sure to figure out how to make sure the rain run off from the shed didn't fall down in to the run.
Not sure how that would be done.

@aart May be able to help with an idea.

Option 4:

1694357036601.png

You are in SC so I doubt you get much snow.
You could cantilever the end of the roof up to the ridge of the coop. I would run 3 beams on the 8' span, supported on 4x4 pressure treated posts at 8' on center with the first pair butted up tight to the coop.
If the distance to the peak of the roof is around 9.5', the left side of the run being set at 6' would give you greater than the minimum 2:12 pitch for run off. I would install a polycarbonate or metal roof over purlins to shed water away to the left side of the run with a gutter to send the runoff well behind the chain link fence if you own that land. Otherwise, well in front of the run.

I am not sure what you should do but I do know that I would NOT use/make a tunnel if it were mine.

I'd probably build the run roof just above the shed but I'd be sure to figure out how to make sure the rain run off from the shed didn't fall down in to the run.
Not sure how that would be done.

@aart May be able to help with an idea.
Thank you so much! May I ask why you prefer no tunnel? That’s my husbands preference at the moment.

Option 4:

View attachment 3632489

You could cantilever the end of the roof up to the ridge of the coop. I would run 3 beams on the 8' span, supported on 4x4 pressure treated posts at 8' on center with the first pair butted up tight to the coop.
If the distance to the peak of the roof is around 9.5', the left side of the run being set at 6' would give you greater than the minimum 2:12 pitch for run off. I would install a polycarbonate or metal roof over purlins to shed water away to the left side of the run with a gutter to send the runoff well behind the chain link fence if you own that land. Otherwise, well in front of the run.
This is extremely helpful! Thank you so much!
I apologize for neglecting to mention where I live. Yes, I’m in the northwest corner of SC so we do occasionally get snow but it’s generally gone within a day or two. More heat concern here.
I didn’t even think about extending the run roof that far. Great idea!

Option 4:

View attachment 3632489

I find myself in a very similar dilemma as I am expecting delivery of a similar A frame type coop shed in the next week or so.

Any ideas how you would attach the run roof to the coop roof to prevent water still trickling down the shed roof into the run?

I find myself in a very similar dilemma as I am expecting delivery of a similar A frame type coop shed in the next week or so.

Any ideas how you would attach the run roof to the coop roof to prevent water still trickling down the shed roof into the run?
Make sure it projects over a few inches past the ridge then put a short pitched extension off the other side that will drain off the right side of the coop roof.

Back
Top Bottom