What do you use to write on eggs?

I have hatched many eggs marked with Sharpie. Here's a double whammy for some...Most times even on washed eggs!
wink.png

Guess I just don't buy into the the whole "egg treated as a sacred object" bit.

Last edited:
I mark dates on our eggs with a rubber stamp. The stamp has bands so you can change the date. I have an ink pad that I have loaded with food grade ink. It is the kind of ink that is used to print on meat and cheese. I have never hatched any eggs so I don't know about that but I eat the eggs that have been date coded.

PENCIL - Sharpie pens soak through and have toxic fumes.

People can use whatever they feel safe using. Nothing is set in stone for anyone as to what they can and should use to mark eggs. However, statements like that are just guesses at best and a not so great way to "freak people out". To me its like making a statement saying people using crayons to mark eggs are sealing the pours with wax and the embryo will suffocate....​

I use pencil, I know lots of people use a marker but pencils seem safer to me and I like to minimise any risks to the eggs as much as I can!

I've never really gave it much thought be I use a majic marker. When i ordered eggs I have seen some using a pencil and some using a pen. With the Marker, it doesn't seem to affect the eggs for hatching because they still hatch. I would think as long as you don't wash them, they have a coating the protects them.. I don't wash my eggs when hatching.

Back
Top Bottom