What do your dogs see chickens as?

Pics
I’ve heard so many things about how dogs are with chickens! But all of them seem to be around trained LGDs or chicken killers. So how are your dogs with chickens? My dog sees them as her siblings. She lays down with my indoor chicks and watches them and waits for them to come over to her then she’ll try to play with them like she would a dog (she likes to be chased) but they always run away. Outside she seems to follow my flock around and my flock doesn’t care 🤣 they just let her become one with the flock. She’s a village mutt and does have breeds that have commonly killed chickens but it seems her mammal hunting breed overpowers the bird hunting instincts thankfully.

We have two other dogs that are allowed around my chickens unsupervised, one is a LGD breed but not trained the other is a boar hunting breed. The LGD breed HAS eaten one of my chickens but that was nearly a year ago and he attacked her first, she’s fine around them now. Our fourth dog is a bird hunting breed and has to be watched around them but thankfully she is 9 years old.

Little brown; my dog, sees them as siblings
Tan dog; LGD breed, resource guards their bodies and has saved them from owls and foxes.
White dog; Dogo Argentina/boar hunting breed, doesn’t care for them.
Black dog; 9 year old bird hunting breed.

Don’t mind the mess of a room, I have ADHD and struggle with cleaning. I’m doing my one every few months clean for the sake of my chicks. They’re allowed on the carpet because it’s a very old carpet and can easily be cleaned or tossed out.
Thanks for sharing 🐓❤️

Denver is a Golden Retriever and acts as if the chicks are her babies, she so gentle. Last night one of the chickens flew out of the coop, and she ran over to make sure she was ok. And when one of the little chicks passed away, she watched us bury her and she layed there for awhile almost like she was mourning. View attachment 3704473
Now Tucker on the other hand is your typical hunting Retriever, chicken means food. Or any other small animal. Tucker has a super high prey drivand and i cant trust him around any chickens or birds. View attachment 3704476
What a lovely post. Loved the included pics. The chicken friendly one with a baby chick on his paw and the hunter wondering whats cookin'! 😂🐓❤️

Our dogs are mildly interested when the chicks are making peeping sounds but they loose interest quickly and walk away.

I'm really happy about that. We didn't know what their reaction would be. They both chase cats and rabbits. One was a stray and he is quick to pursue small critters like lizards and eat them. 🤢

The brooder and run are completely enclosed so the dogs will never have access to the chickens anyway and we are always with them when they're in the back yard but I'm glad the chickens don't seem to interest them much. They are good dogs.

Last edited:
Watching the chick for me😅.

She was ok until the chick pecked her in the nose and ear. Then she had enough
20240404_090421.jpg

Back
Top Bottom