GUYS IM SO HAPPY

Phospho

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2023
I first got chickens when I was 13, and I was one of those annoying, overly-cuddly chicken moms who chases her birds all around for smooches. They didn't mind too terribly, but they didn't adore my company, either. So, for the past couple of years, I've been trying to be super respectful of my flock, only chasing them if I need to get them into their pen, and only touching them if they approach me.

Today, it worked, and it was SO REWARDING!! I walked into the girls' hoophouse, and Isabella, one of my flightier hens (I honestly thought she hated me) came up and sat on my lap. I started petting her, and she sat down, and then she rolled over into my shirt like she would to dustbathe, spread out her wing, and closed her eyes. She would have fallen off my lap if I hadn't caught her, and we just sat there for five or so minutes until one of the other hens got jealous and booted her out (naughty Maria).

I feel like I've finally gained their trust, and it's the best feeling ever. Who else can say that they've had a tiny dinosaur roll over and sleep on their lap?

P.S. attached a recent picture of Isabella in a hat...

Attachments

• IMG_20240308_124049.jpg
    IMG_20240308_124049.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I first got chickens when I was 13, and I was one of those annoying, overly-cuddly chicken moms who chases her birds all around for smooches. They didn't mind too terribly, but they didn't adore my company, either. So, for the past couple of years, I've been trying to be super respectful of my flock, only chasing them if I need to get them into their pen, and only touching them if they approach me.

Today, it worked, and it was SO REWARDING!! I walked into the girls' hoophouse, and Isabella, one of my flightier hens (I honestly thought she hated me) came up and sat on my lap. I started petting her, and she sat down, and then she rolled over into my shirt like she would to dustbathe, spread out her wing, and closed her eyes. She would have fallen off my lap if I hadn't caught her, and we just sat there for five or so minutes until one of the other hens got jealous and booted her out (naughty Maria).

I feel like I've finally gained their trust, and it's the best feeling ever. Who else can say that they've had a tiny dinosaur roll over and sleep on their lap?

P.S. attached a recent picture of Isabella in a hat...
Precious, thanks for sharing 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom