what does a 20 week old chicken look like???

Quote:
Wow, your white and red EE is gorgeous!
love.gif

Quote:
I don't have RIRs, and it might just be the angle of the picture, but she looks kind of small for 19 wks imo, and where's her comb?...she looks like my 15 wk olds (welsummer and barnevelder).

To the educator (or anyone else knowledgeable) I have 2 RIR's, 2 BR's, and 2 NHR's that are 19 weeks old tomorrow. Could they start laying soon? I thought it wouldn't be until at least 22 weeks! I'm really excited now. Also, with winter coming, will they continue to lay everyday or will it stop? Thanks!

Just a word to the wise for new chicken people: Feed them well. Give them chick starter. Don't just feed scratch. If your chickens look small compared to others the same age, it could be because of what they're getting to eat. They need lots more protein and vitamins, etc. than is present in scratch.

I have a young mixed breed hen who has gotten much bigger in the 3 weeks I've had her, but her comb isn't well-developed yet. She free-ranges in my yard, eats lots of bugs, and gets an organic feed, as well as treats. She still doesn't look like one of the bigger breeds and I'm thinking she might be a bantam. She was a rescue so I have no idea how old she is - she was found wandering. Here's my question: given that her diet is very balanced (and substantial), can I expect her to be an early layer? I read that bantams don't lay as well. As far as her breed goes, she has the black with greenish sheen of an Australorp with brown penciling on the chest and neck feathers, but not the head. I'm not really expecting anything yet because I estimate her to be about 3-4 months old and she shows NO interest in the nesting box whatsoever. In fact, it's all I can do to get her into the coop at night. She prefers to roost in a tree!

Quote:
ok your username pic thing is adorable and the barred rock looks about the same size as my barred rock? what age was she in the pic.?

<3 kelsey

Back
Top Bottom