What does a frostbitten comb look like?

Trishkabob

Songster
12 Years
Oct 30, 2010
Schuylerville, NY
it is cold here and I just want to make sure I know what to look for just in case. does a comb that has frostbite get black like skin?
we don't insulate our coop, have 4 hens, 5-10 months old, no molting...all is well so far but as temp.s hit single digits I am checking daily for signs of stress.
it would be really tough to get hold of one of our girls to do the Vaseline thing-she hates to be picked up. But if we must we must.....thanks.

The tips of the combs/wattles will get black. If your unheated coop has good ventilation, you shouldn't have too much worries. We have had -20 C temps here, and no frostbite. The only time I had frostbite was my first year when I stressed about the cold and put in a heat lamp. That year my roo got frostbite. Never since.

My Black Star rooster has an enormous single comb and he got frost bite
hit.gif
It turned really hard and pale first and then eventually black. I had even treated it with bag balm trying to prevent frost bite. It makes me feel terrible every time I see it. He is the only one of my birds who has gotten it. I hope you are able to avoid it. I am never getting another single comb bird.

Back
Top Bottom