What does early frostbite look like? (For us first winter flock keepers)

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
It's snowing here in my area of michigan and its the thick wet snow type. It's also our first winter with chickens. And with this wet and cold weather theres bound to be more newbies here so I'm wondering does anyone have like a guide or pictures of early frostbite to help us newbies identify it?

I'm hoping we don't have any issues but better safe than sorry knowing what it looks like. I'd rather catch it early if possible.

Today for morning feed and watering I went out and was surprised to see only 4 out of 10 of our birds on our outdoor roosts. No prints in the extended uncovered part of the run. And surprisingly despite their water freezing the past few days this morning it was only slush. After feeding I left their run door open. I know theres probably nothing to free range with the snow but I figured maybe atleast if their not comfortable in the coop or run with this weather they can find somewhere to bed down if they want. Some of them seemed to be poking around under a small flatbed trailer that seems to have some bare ground.

MEANWHILE! Our 2 geese. I don't think they care at all about this weather. I went out to check on them and our male goose Gus had snow on his beak and they came out of the run immediately and our girl Gizzy flew atleast 5 ft off the ground trying to follow me back to the house lol

Our planned feeding and water for this winter.

Feed- We mix crumble, cracked corn and black oil sunflower seeds. I'm also planning to start soaking feed for maybe a day sometimes to hopefully help with water intake because of the water freezing issue.

Water- I'm screwed lol. We can't afford to run electric out there for a heated system so for the whole winter I'm just gonna be walking multiple times a day with fresh water from the house to pour into their bowls. Oh well.. Maybe next year we can figure something out lol

Good luck to others facing the same issue!

Watch for them acting off. If there is any, feel their toes. If they feel stiff at all when bending, get them to warm up. While most people worry about combs or wattles, feet really are a big risk too. I have had birds each winter for 3 years now that have to be put down because they somehow get frostbite and lose a leg or even both.

Watch for them acting off. If there is any, feel their toes. If they feel stiff at all when bending, get them to warm up. While most people worry about combs or wattles, feet really are a big risk too. I have had birds each winter for 3 years now that have to be put down because they somehow get frostbite and lose a leg or even both.
I've heard their toes are at risk but I thought it was more rare hmm okay thank you. Our flock contains Buff orpingtons, black australorps, a light brahma, a gold lace wyandotte and easter eggers. Our rooster is a easter egger so he doesn't have a huge comb which is what I researched was important for keeping him safe during winter from comb frostbite. And we tried to do more cold hardy breeds. But since their feet are at risk as well I'll keep an eye on those. We have roosts inside the coop as well as straw on the cement flooring. Plus roosts in the run to get up off the cold/wet ground.

early frostbite to help us newbies identify it?
Comb will be grayish for mild bite, black for more serious.

I'd rather catch it early if possible.
Remember there's really nothing to do to prevent or treat, best to leave hands off and let it heal on it's own.

I've never seen frostbitten feet, but more than a few combs.
Documented one of them here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

Big combs and wattles are definitely at risk, only having birds with smaller 'head pieces' helps there.
I've had two birds with frozen feet, both roosters who decided to hold the edge of a rubber water dish with a foot during freezing weather. So far this fall nobody is doing that, so I might keep those water dishes out there. Both roosters died prematurely over this story, the only birds we've lost this way in 30+ years.
Does 'can't fix stupidity' fit here?
Mary

Big combs and wattles are definitely at risk, only having birds with smaller 'head pieces' helps there.
I've had two birds with frozen feet, both roosters who decided to hold the edge of a rubber water dish with a foot during freezing weather. So far this fall nobody is doing that, so I might keep those water dishes out there. Both roosters died prematurely over this story, the only birds we've lost this way in 30+ years.
Does 'can't fix stupidity' fit here?
Mary
Lol well I've tried doing what I can to prevent issues. Hopefully its enough but you cant really beat stupidity if its the bird itself.

Been a tough day. Snow storm. Fun fun.. Veryy cold! Tomorrow looks to be the same. The birds only come out when I come out. I've gone out multiple times to check/replace frozen water. Note to self wear gloves or hands will stick to metal lol. Had to cover up the front vents where the wind direction is coming from on the coop. I stood in the coop and could feel the draft. I feel bad I just sooo badly want to put them and all their needs inside the coop and close the door but cant do that with water. Itll just cause issues. x.x

If you can swap out a couple nipple waterers (one in use, one warming up inside), that will help prevent frostbite on wattles vs an open bowl. Mine are not capable of drinking without dunking half their face 😑

If you can swap out a couple nipple waterers (one in use, one warming up inside), that will help prevent frostbite on wattles vs an open bowl. Mine are not capable of drinking without dunking half their face 😑
Unfortunately we can't because we also have 2 geese who need the deep bowl for cleaning their nostrils lol. But I am bringing in one bowl and swapping them. So one melts while the other freezes. Once the temps go back up and it wont freeze during the day it should be easier its just this snowstorm has below freezing. 21F with a real feel of 13F last I checked and might get worse lol. Tonight might be a night I close the chicken door over night. I usually keep it open but with the crazy wind I think it might be more comfortable for them.

Ventilation is still most important, don't close everything up! Wind right on them, not good. Breeze overhead, that's ventilation.
Having a temperature gauge/ hygrometer is helpful, so you know if the humidity is too high in there, compared to ambient.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom