Chirping
Mar 22, 2019
What is this?

Attachments

• 0474D297-46B6-4804-AEAE-6288793933D1.jpeg
    0474D297-46B6-4804-AEAE-6288793933D1.jpeg
    816.4 KB · Views: 13
Hi! Sorry your rooster isn't feeling well :(

Do you have another rooster or a mean hen? I'm wondering if he got beat up really bad. The purple comb tips do concern me a little, what are his other symptoms besides the black scabs?
Is he skinny?
How is his breathing? Is it raspy?
What does his poop look like?

Poor guy looks like he has been in a fight, and either gotten pecked or bloodied himself running against metal fencing. I would put him in a crate overnight, and offer water and feed when he is feeling better. His blue comb tips could be from stress or dehydration. Offer some water today.

Poor guy looks like he has been in a fight, and either gotten pecked or bloodied himself running against metal fencing. I would put him in a crate overnight, and offer water and feed when he is feeling better. His blue comb tips could be from stress or dehydration. Offer some water today.

I separated him by himself with food and water just for him. My roosters typically never fight at all. Sometimes here and there over a hen but nothing bad at all. People are telling me it’s fowl pox

Hi! Sorry your rooster isn't feeling well :(

Do you have another rooster or a mean hen? I'm wondering if he got beat up really bad. The purple comb tips do concern me a little, what are his other symptoms besides the black scabs?
Is he skinny?
How is his breathing? Is it raspy?
What does his poop look like?

My chickens don’t typically fight at all. Other symptoms are just tired and a tad off balance do to that one eye being shut. Poor thing.

My chickens don’t typically fight at all. Other symptoms are just tired and a tad off balance do to that one eye being shut. Poor thing.
I saw you mention fowl pox, I have never experienced it so I dont have much room to talk about it. But from the images I see, they are swollen sores that look really gross.
Chickens can get into little quarrels at random, even ones that typically get along. Especially roosters. Sparring and quarreling is guaranteed at some point.
When my roosters decide to challenge the pecking order, one usually gets the black specks on the comb and face, just like your image.
Can you see the eyeball at all? Is it normal looking? It might just be the eyelid thats swollen from the black specks on it.

I hope he starts feeling better :hugs

Where are you located? Fowl pox is only common when mosquitoes are out in hot weather. It can linger for months afterward being spread by dropped scabs from recovering chickens. Pox starts out as beige to tan lesions, turning brown or darker with time. It lasts 3 weeks in most chickens.

Peck wounds or injuries are jet black and usually due to dried blood. Here is a good article with pictures of fowl pox:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Back
Top Bottom