What does this behavior mean?

countrygalut

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
Okay, so I have 36 chicks that are 7 weeks old today. I spend lots of time with them each day, and many of the little pullets have grown fond of me and will climb into my lap or jump into my arms for treats and attention. The ones that are still a bit skittish, I make sure to take the time to pick them up when I can, trying to get them used to it. My Easter Egger roo, Egor, has developed a bit of an aggression towards the pullets every time I put them down or they get down on their own from my lap or arm. It doesn't matter which pullet it is, or whether they are in my lap by choice or by my forcing them to be, but he will just stalk back and forth in front of me until the pullet is back on the ground and then he immediately attacks them, biting at their necks. I know he must be asserting dominance, but why does he do this to them only when they've been held? Is it because they were higher up than him, so he's re-asserting his dominance? My husband and his parents think that he's actually trying to assert his dominance over ME, rather than the pullets. Is that the case? He is one of the few chicks that doesn't really like me, and hates to be held, but when I can catch him I make sure to carry him around under my arm for a while. I also use my finger to 'peck' him every time he attacks one of the girls for being in my lap/arms. Is this the proper way to react to his behavior? There are at least 4 roosters in the bunch, and I plan to keep two of them. Egor had demonstrated protection over the flock from just a few days old, guarding them when they were spooked and fled to corners, so he's one of the ones I had planned to keep. But if his behavior doesn't shape up a bit, I'm thinking he might be heading to Freezer Camp. I'm not sure whether his behavior is something to worry about, or if I should allow it to continue? I want my roosters to be good husbands to the hens, to protect them. But I also want them to be kind to me, no aggression. Is Egor's behavior normal, and will he settle down once the pecking order is established?

Here is Egor, eyeing Eloise suspiciously as she contemplates jumping in my lap for snuggles this morning. After seeing Egor, she changed her mind and ran away...

Do you think we are responding to his behavior properly? Is there anything more, or different that we should be doing to help 'correct' him? I don't want him to be soup if I can help it!

I don't have much experience with cockerels but I also have a 7 week old EE roo like you who will herd hens who are his age but has never attacked them after i've handled them, seems overly aggressive for that age. Hope someone can help you out. Also your roo looks a lot like the roo in my profile pic does.

Welcome! This boy is going to be a problem; he's not behaving well already. In my experience, 'retraining' cockrels who have a bad attitude nearly never works. A polite cockrel wouldn't think that you are worth challenging, and trying to make him a 'pet' won't make him better. Cockrels don't need to 'like' you, they need to focus on their flock, and respect you as the bringer of food. Do you have other cockrels? See how they develop, and only keep one or two who behave well. Because you are so new to chickens, some more reading on behavior, or better yet an experienced neighbor, will help. I have had a number of EE males who weren't nice, and they tasted great! Mary

He certainly does look similar, and you are in Utah too, what a coincidence! I'm in Southern Utah. I think they will be pretty roos (if I give mine the opportunity to be, anyway, lol).

Actually, I'm not new to chickens, I've had them for many years. I seem new, because I have a whole new flock. We lost our flock in a tragic fire on our property less than a year ago. We lost a lot in that fire. And since this question is usually inevitable, No, it wasn't a heat lamp in the coop that started the fire. It was August, we didn't have anything plugged in at all that time of year. The coop was attached to three barn structures, and the one connected to it had a faulty electrical box that shorted, while nothing was plugged into it at the time. It was just a tragic incident. All the structures burned to the ground, but luckily the firefighters saved ours and our neighbor's homes. So this is the first time I've started out with so many chicks, I've always had hens around to tend them, and just a few chicks at a time. Now I find myself mothering the chicks myself, as I have no hens to do it for me, and I've never experienced this behavior with a young roo. I do have a few other roos in the flock, and I planned on waiting a few more weeks before choosing which ones to keep, as I know they are still growing and establishing themselves, and I want to pick the two best roos. We've just had our hearts set on Egor from a young age, because we loved his personality from day 1. However, this new behavior is not appreciated, and I will certainly give him away or cook him if it continues. He started it about a week or so ago, and I don't need a bully in my flock!

Back
Top Bottom