What does your coop look like/ coop ideas?

Lofty Dreams

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Minnesota
I have built a few coops and drawn many others. I'll get some pictures up here soon [shroy about the wait]. I was wondering if you could show me your coops. Thanks a 2,000 lbs [ton].

Here is mine.

DSC00010.jpg

I don't have a photo of ours, but we have a short rectangular coop with a lift-up lid for a roof. We access the eggs by lifting the one half of the roof, and this also gives us access to the food/water/cleaning. We installed a roosting tiered box we saw in a book and it works great, we just put a tray under it and a slot to the outside so we can dump the poo from under the roosting box. Everything is done from outside so we don't have to get in. It is small but could fit 20 chickens. We have a lift up and down door to the outside chain link run. My husband put this on a pulley so we can lift the door up and down without going into the muck. In the run, we have used sand in summer and straw in winter.

My DH made almost the entire thing with recycled materials we had around and did not buy anything except some of the nails/hinges/bolts, etc. The nicest part is you can stand outside the coop in the nice clean sand we put there and never walk through chicken poo. Also, the price was right! The recycled parts all look cohesive when painted the same color.

We got most of our ideas right her on BYC and are re-vamping all the time as we learn what works and doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom