What does your goose coop look like?

Hi

We use low shed as their nesting and sleeping quarters. These are about 8ft long, 4 ft deep and about 4.5ft high with a ventilation grill along the top. The centre door means we can use either side as a nesting area and accomadates our trios without any problem.

Pete
wink.png

80310_040320113285.jpg

Hey pete55!

This is almost exactly what I am envisioning my future goose house to look like (am almost ready to start building). I'm planning it to be 12' long x 4' deep x 4.5-5.0' high. I was thinking I would have 4 doors across the front so I can spray it all out as needed and completely open it up as I wish. I'm going to situate it on a sloping piece of land so when I spray it out, the water/mess will run away from it down the hill. I'm also thinking part of the floor will be solid with rubber horse stall mats on top of wire flooring and shavings/hay on top and the other part will just be wire flooring open underneath.

If the compliment was aimed at me: Thank you very much.

We have just under 7 acres so technically the first house is in my front yard and the second about 150' away to the side. My chicken coop, goat housing, and pastures for those animals and our cows is in my "backyard".
wink.png

Best part about the buildings is that aside from the siding and hardware cloth, all the materials were salvaged from construction sites where we worked as carpenters: It is sad and amazing what they throw away. The little playhouse, which is the left part of the first photo was a Craigslist find.

I love sitting in my living room and watching the ducks and geese frolic in the pond and graze in their pasture. The spot where we put the pond was low and held water anyway (solid clay soil right there), so we said why not just dig a pond there and get some ducks. Well, it kinda snowballed from there.......

Jordan and Reebok have a little barn. It's 8x12.
I had a window installed and insulated it myself with the pink fiberglass stuff and covered that with ReflectX.
It's attached to the back of my garage and there's a door into the garage.
When they're in at night there's a grate over the door so they can see out into the garage where the cats like to hang out
after it's locked up for the night.
It also makes getting warm water to them easy in the Winter. In bad weather I don't have to go out.

Linda

Thanks, I love these guys. I've had them since they were two days old.
When I think about the fact that they are 18 it occurs to me that if they were kids I would have to buy then a car and send them to college.
They are truly a good and perfect gift!
Linda

Apologies for the scratchy pics but they were taken with my ipod touch. Our goose coop is more like a pen. It's a temporary pen in the garage to hold the 8 geese until we were confident they could hold their own with the ducks. We also have 4 Pekin ducks in the coop who like to bully the geese around too much for my comfort. But the geese are growing and getting more size on them.

It's furring strips with chicken wire tacked on. The back has some plywood to keep them from getting to the tool bench. It's basically 6' square on each side with oh about 18" high. As the garage is pretty sealed against predators and weather, we just needed to corral geese before they got under the tool bench and such. The front is hinged so that we can open it entirely in the front for cleaning and to allow the geese entry and exit. The first few weeks they weren't keen on going in for bed, but now I just go in and start filling the food trays and tossing bedding down and they come in.

Back
Top Bottom