What else can I do?? Sick very special frizzle chicken!!! Infectious Sinusitis I think

kimmom

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
My daughter lost her two year old frizzle a few days ago and now her 7 year old very very special chicken is also sneezing!! We have her in the house, giving her yoghurt, and she is on "Super Boost" which has vitamins, penicillin G and streptomycin sulphate in it. Is there any other medications I should try?? HELP!! I think it is Infectious Sinusitis

Last edited:
we are also giving her colloidial silver and apple cider vinegar

Last edited:
I am Sierra age 10 the owner of the sick very special frizzle hen named fluffy. She is 7 years old,and have bean told that she is getting really old for a chicken,but i love her so much, so if any one thinks they know what she has or what to give her please tell me!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Chickens have been known to live much longer than seven years in captivity. I had a rooster who lived to be at least 15 before my neighbors dog killed him. Ducks have been known to live for 30 years in captivity! Your chicken is merely middle-aged.

Stop giving her yogurt. Milk products increase the production of mucous and when you're talking about a sinus infection in a chicken, that can be deadly. If you want her to have probiotics, add a powdered supplement to a poultry mash.

I usually use tetracycline (terramycin, which you can find in any feed store) instead of penicillin for Upper Respiratory viral infections. You are not going to kill the virus, but you will prevent the secondary infection and that's the killer.
I used to work for an avian vet and he used to have me give my birds fresh broccoli, or kale mixed with garlic and olive oil. Brocolli, Kale or anything in the Rape family is high in beta carotene. Beta carotene is a precursor to vitamin A which is necessary for repairing mucous membranes. Don't give her vitamin A, it is very easy to overdose on. Olive oil and garlic both contain antibacterial agents that bacteria cannot develop a resistance to.

If her infection is advanced, you might want to contact a veterinarian to obtain tylan injectable. It is very easy to give a chicken injectable antibiotics and they can do a good job of nipping an infection in the bud.

You could also go online and buy denagard. I have found it to be very successful for my chickens. They were sneezing a log and had yucky eyes. I bought this and they are doing so much better and fast! Good luck. My heart is going out to you and your special frizzle :(

I am praying for you also. I didn't know this about yougart. My favorite cockerel (young rooster, Little Baby), got very sick very quickly, all at once, and his symptoms were the same as your Fluffy. He was sneezing, coughing, mucas and swelling in nostrils and and eye, one eye stuck together, mucas in his mouth, ratteld breathing, yellow diarreha, feaver, wouldn't eat or drink, just standing still with eyes closed. I built a big cage for him and took him inside and put a heat lamp on him (cage is big enough so he can back away from heat, and light is not too close, cause the heat light can get hot). On advise, I went to feed store and got Tetracycline, and began to mix 2tsp per gallon of that with water, along with 4 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar and about 1 tsp electrolytes. Since he wouldn't drink on his own, I got a cough surup measuring cup and poured some of that water in it, along with a little extra tiny pinch of the Tetracycline, and drew it up in a syringe (without the needle), and I started giving that to him 2 times a day. I also got some yougart and did the same with that. And I had to keep his nose cleaned out (very carefully with toothpick and Q-tip) They can't breathe if the nose is stopped up. He gradually started drinking water on his own, and then eating a little bit. I fixed him some scrambled eggs, and some rice. The Apple Cider Vinegar in the water, cuts down the mucus, I could tell the difference after I started using this. The main thing was first to keep him very warm. They told me about 85 to 90 degrees. And keep her out of drafts. I went a couple of days ago and got some VetRx for them also. It's like Vicks Salve for chickens. I warmed it and rubbed a little on their heads and under their wings, so when they sleep with their heads under their wings, they can smell the vapors. I also put it in my vaporizer and have it in there with them once in the day and about an hour or two at night. But mainly isolate, warm, hydrate, first thing. They Tetracycline has helped also, but I have ordered some Tylan 50 injectable from Revival Animal Health.com, but then I saw it at Tractor Supply Company, when I got the VetRx. The person who told me about it, said they gave it orally 3 nights and it cleared up hers that had these same symptoms. So when I do get it, I plan to give it orally, in the syringe without the needle, I just can't give shots, so I'm glad it can be done this way. Depending on the weight, size of the chicken would be doseage. She either said 1cc or 2cc. (I don't remember), but someone on here would know for sure. I have it written down in my notebook somewhere. But anyway supposedly this drug works miracles and quickly. I don't have access to a vet that treats chickens, so I just have to try to do it myself.

This is scary. Hopefully what you have is an infection, and not a virus, because antibiotics will NOT make the virus go away, though they will kill secondary infection, as was said before. If you want to force feed your birds,it's better to tube feed them, I'm told, as they may choke if you use a dropper. Tube feeding sounds scary but it is not difficult, really, and you can mix meds or whatever into the stuff you are force feeding them, make them a smoothie, we used green smoothie from the deli last time, it has veggies and fruit in it, and we added banana and a little yogurt, but you can really use whatever you have that is healthy for chickens, It just flows down the tube into their crop. They MUST eat and have fluids in order to survive., Once they quit eating, they will deteriorate quickly. If you want to try tube feeding and need help in doing it, feel free to ask. There are some nasty viruses in chickens that do not respond to antibiotics. If you have another bird die, please consider getting a necropsy done. They will give you information you need, and save you some money in the long run. They need to be done very soon after death, within twenty four hours.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your time and help,every one!!!

Fluffy is shaking her head lots today and a bit of sneezing. I have seen her eat but have not seen her drink.

Back
Top Bottom