What else do they need?? I don't understand what is wrong.

babychickfarmer

Songster
12 Years
Well ok there is nothin wrong with any of my girls but I do have a question. We are feeding them Oragnic feed wright now. Medium Feed...for pullets and hens. We are getting oyster shell(ground up) tommorow. And we feed them lots of greens from our greenhouses. Is there anything else we need to put out in the coop. Anykind of pottasium or anything. I guess my question is what else do they need??

We might just start making our own feed..are there any organic recipes out there from my fellow chicken ladies to share:) If so that would be GREAT! Thank you

Quote:
From everything I know and have heard.....
chicks need only chick starter(medicated/non-medicated, which ever your preference)
and then once they start laying they need layer feed and suppliment with oyster shell.
Chicks should not have layer feed or oyster shell as it has too much calcium.
Lots of greens for both ages is good.
Thats all I know.

Quote:
From everything I know and have heard.....
chicks need only chick starter(medicated/non-medicated, which ever your preference)
and then once they start laying they need layer feed and suppliment with oyster shell.
Chicks should not have layer feed or oyster shell as it has too much calcium.
Lots of greens for both ages is good.
Thats all I know.

Thank you for ur reply. The pet store women told memeduim feed can be fed to both the pullets and layers. The pullets are 10 weeks today. Do u think I shold still ry to keep them out of the oyster shell?

10 week olds do not need oyster shell. I don't know what 'medium' feed is..but plain chick starter is a perfect feed for your girls up until they start laying. At that point, switch to layer pellets and offer oyster shell free choice.
IF you give greens, or any other 'treats', they will also need grit. If they have free range time, or access to an outdoor run, they should be fine. If not, play sand, or even a shovel full of dirt from the yard (pesticide free) should be offered free choice.

Back
Top Bottom