What Feed do you use and Where do you get it?

The guy at the co-op told me, because I'm very picky what I feed my birds, and darn if I can remember, I think they are a type of a pig feed all the feeds the co-op uses are Honor/ Purina brand the, protein this mix is around 23%, i've got 6 week old chicks fully feathered with this.

What is in pig feed? I once got rabbit feed and they slowed down completely in eating it. Is pig feed good for them?

According to my mill pig feed is good but sow feed is better. They like the sow feed better and egg production is very good with it. I still feed layer pellets in the morning then the sow feed in the evening. Pig feed is much cheaper 12.90 per 100 lb. Some people in my area due strictly pig/sow feed.

My birds get Pen Pals Egg Maker Complete #70010

Protein..........16.0%
Fat..................3.0%

The description on the pamplet says:

Pelleted to reduce waste and improve feed effeciency.

A complete feed designed to meet the needs of domestic layers in producion when fed as the sole ration.

Scratch grains should not be fed with Egg Maker Complete.

I get the 50 lb. bag and it says they should eat about 1/4 lb per hen per day .... but they eat more than that.

22 chickens x 1/4 lb = 5.5 lb per day

50 lb / 5.5 = 9 days

but it only lasts about 6 days..

I'm figuring that it's because of the cold and they need the calories.

21 of my birds are female and i'm getting 20 - 21 eggs per day and they all seem very healthy and happy.

I pay between $9.00 - $10.00 per 50 lb. bag.

With 6 to 8 it would take me nearly a month to go through 50 lbs. I think they eat it not because they like it but because they're hungry. For 16 as of yesterday, we shall see...the 7 new birds who were raised on Dumor, are pretty huge so we shall see how long it lasts now.

I've heard some people feed something called "sweet feed" to their chickens, but I have no clue what it is or how good it is for them. I do know a guy who feeds this to his mules though.

What a cute kid marymac! Is that when they mix molasses in with it? I read something about that but didn't get specifics. I know a lady that does that with her goats.

Back
Top Bottom