What gender and age are these new chicks? And how to introduce them to my other 9 week old chickens?

farlo4

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
I recently got three new chicks to add to my chicken collection. I got them from IFA so supposedly they are all pullets, but I'm questioning one. Also they are bigger then most chicks at the stores around here, so I'm not sure of their age. What do you think? (and sorry for the bad quality pictures - I have to use the camera on my phone)

This is a Golden Campine. This is the chick that I'm questioning if it's really a pullet. The comb is slightly larger then the others and tilts a bit to the left. Do you think it's gonna be a roo or is that just the breed? Also what age?

This is a Barred Plymouth Rock. Age and gender please?

This is a Rhode Island Red. Age and gender please?

Just a few more questions. I have four other chickens. They are about 8 weeks old. They look like grown chickens accept they are smaller because they are younger. One of them is a little Roo (he's a Bantam). With that in mind, when can the chicks be in the same coop as the older chickens? At the moment the chicks are in a crate, and the other chickens can see in the crate so they know the chicks are there. Also, say the one chick is a roo, can I have two roos together, or will that cause problems? I can have roos where I live so that isn't an issue. Please let me know what you think. :)

Last edited:
All of them look like girls to me. Chicks can join adults around 8-12 weeks. (Depending on how you are introducing.) 12 weeks is preferable. Also, roosters don't generally allow other roosters. But if they grew up together, I would think they would get along better.

They are about three weeks old. None are showing any cockerel signs yet but it's early. The only one you can be reasonably sure about so young is the barred Rock. The next few weeks will tell the tale when males get darker, growing combs and females have little to no change in theirs.

I also want to say that one rooster can handle quite a few hens. Should you get a second rooster in this batch, you should make a decision on which one to keep or house him separately until you can get more hens. The typical ratio recommended is 10:1. If there aren't enough females, the males are more likely to fight and the females are more likely to be stressed from over breeding.

Thanks to both of you.

If what you say is correct then they are only 5 weeks apart in age. Does this mean they can be together sooner?

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. 

If what you say is correct then they are only 5 weeks apart in age. Does this mean they can be together sooner?

How are you planning on introducing? If you are doing the sperating method ( where they can see but not touch each other ) then they can go out around 8 weeks because by the time the separating time is over they will be a few weeks older.

How are you planning on introducing? If you are doing the sperating method ( where they can see but not touch each other ) then they can go out around 8 weeks because by the time the separating time is over they will be a few weeks older.
They are already in the coop with the others except they are in a dog crate. So the chickens can see each other through the grate that is the door of the crate. In reality they could touch beaks through the holes in the grate, but I haven't seen them really interested in each other. I've held the chicks in my hands and showed them to the other chickens, and the chickens just looked at them for a minute and then walked away. They seem to be ignoring each other right now.

IMHO, the sooner, the better. The pecking order is still young and changing. It is sometimes problematic when introducing chickens of different sizes but it will likely be less stressful now than if you wait a month.

Do you mean 'wattles'? They are part of a chickens caruncles - the fleshy red growths on a chickens face/head. The comb is the one on top and their wattles are the two that hang below.

Back
Top Bottom